Recipie safety evaluation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jcarter93

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 7, 2021
Hi guys,

I made a double batch of a recipie for scotch bonnet jam I found online. I've made this recipie before and know it keeps for a very long time in the fridge but I'd like to just save space and store the jars in the basement.

My issue is that there is no section of the recipie dedicated to canning it so I dont think it's been tested.

Could you all take a look at the contents of this recipie and help evaluate if it will be acidic enough to can with a 10 minute water bath and be shelf stable and safe from botulism

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:
I doubt it will be safe in a water bath. Chile needs to be pressured to be safe 240-250*F. Not sure if it’s a jam, if you can pressure the sugar. Never done that.

I doubt it will be safe in a water bath. Chile needs to be pressured to be safe 240-250*F. Not sure if it’s a jam, if you can pressure the sugar. Never done that.

I only thought it would be safe since it is being cooked into a jam before processing and all the info I have on processing jam says a 5-10 min water bath.

My question is basically if the amount of acid (250 ml) would make the mixture acidic enough to water bath can safely.

Also, I posted a working link btw

Looks like the recommended way of canning jams/jellies is in a hot water bath. At least according to the USDA-NCFP. (Source below)

SOURCE: National Center for Food Preservation (UGA); Home Canning Guide Rev. 07/15; Guide 7 Preparing and Canning Jams and Jellies, pages 7-10/11.

I've attached a copy of Guide 7 Preparing and Canning Jams and Jellies. There is a recipe for canning Golden Pepper Jelly using bell and Serrano chili peppers to review.🍻
John

Attachments

• USDA Home Canning Guide 7 Canning Jams and Jellies.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
Looks like the recommended way of canning jams/jellies is in a hot water bath. At least according to the USDA-NCFP. (Source below)

SOURCE: National Center for Food Preservation (UGA); Home Canning Guide Rev. 07/15; Guide 7 Preparing and Canning Jams and Jellies, pages 7-10/11.

I've attached a copy of Guide 7 Preparing and Canning Jams and Jellies. There is a recipe for canning Golden Pepper Jelly using bell and Serrano chili peppers to review.🍻
John
Thank you! It looks like that recipe has more sugar and acid and less fruit by weight

John
So if you wanted to do a green bean jelly, just follow the jelly recipe? Really?

Peppers are not fruits, they are vegetables. Follow the canning guidelines for vegetables with peppers, not fruits.
I just put the jars in the fridge. I was hoping someone would/could come along and say "yep, the acidity of that recipe overall is less than 4.5 ph" but without that assurance it's just smarter to be safe with it.

SmokinEdge/JCarter93: After rereading the guide, I think it's more of the availability of acid in the product. The canning guide does appear to contradict itself when you read the canning of peppers, including jalapeno, is to be done in a pressure cooker.

The difference between the two recipes, and the listed salsa canning recipes, is in the amount of acid found in the product. When canning regular peppers, only the peppers are found in the product (low acid), requiring the use of a pressure cooker.

In the jam/ jellies/salsa recipes found in the Guide, vinegar is added to increase the available acid in the product, plus there is a LOT of product boiling!

My head hurts?! LOL! I need a glass of vinegar, I mean wine?! 🍷🍷
John

Here is a copy of the 2018 revision to the pepper recipe referenced above.

Making Jams and Jellies
Golden Pepper Jelly
  • 5 cups chopped yellow bell peppers (about 4 large fleshy peppers as purchased)
  • 1/2 cup chopped Serrano chile peppers (about 5 peppers as purchased)
  • 1-1/2 cups white distilled vinegar (5%)
  • 5 cups sugar
  • 1 pouch (3 ounces) liquid pectin
Yield: About 5 half-pint jars

Please read Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is your first-time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.

Caution: Wear plastic or rubber gloves and do not touch your face while handling or cutting hot peppers. If you do not wear gloves, wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching your face or eyes.

Procedure:

1. Wash and rinse half-pint canning jars; pre-sterilize and keep hot until ready to fill. Prepare lids and ring bands according to manufacturer's directions.

To Prepare Pepper Juice
2. Wash all peppers thoroughly; remove stems and seeds from the peppers. Do not remove the membrane from the hot peppers, since the remaining capsaicin for pepper heat is located there.
3. Place sweet and hot peppers in a blender or food processor. Add enough vinegar to purée the peppers, then purée.
4. Combine the pepper-vinegar purée and remaining vinegar into an 8- or 10-quart saucepan. Heat to a boil; then boil 10 minutes to extract flavors and color.
5. Remove from heat and strain through a jelly bag into a bowl. (The jelly bag is preferred; several layers of cheesecloth may also be used.)

To Make Jelly
6. Measure 2-1/4 cups of the strained pepper-vinegar juice into the 8- to 10-quart saucepan. Stir in sugar until dissolved and return mixture to a boil. Add the pectin, return to a full rolling boil and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; skim off foam quickly.
7. Fill hot jelly immediately into hot, pre-sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel. Apply and adjust prepared lids.
8. Process filled jars in a boiling water canner according to the recommendations in Table 1.
9. Let processed jars cool, undisturbed, 12 to 24 hours and check for vacuum seals.

Table 1. Recommended process time for Golden Pepper Jelly in a boiling-water canner.
Process Time at Altitudes of
Style of PackJar Size0 - 1,000 ft1,001 - 6,000 ftAbove 6,000 ft
HotHalf-pints5 min1015
The following optional 10-minute boiling water process can also be used and may provide a stronger vacuum in the jar. Jars would not need to be pre-sterilized, but could be washed, rinsed and kept hot until filling.
HotHalf-pints10 min1520

Notes:
(1)
The use of yellow peppers gives this jelly a light golden color. Other color sweet peppers can be substituted, but these will provide a different jelly color. Other hot peppers can also be substituted. It is best to start with a mild hot pepper flavor and increase it to personal tastes.

(2) If properly prepared the jelly will have a mildly firm set. It is best to use half-pint jars.

(3) The addition of vinegar to the low-acid sweet and hot peppers makes this recipe safe for boiling water canning. Do not reduce the amount of vinegar. The amounts of vinegar and sugar are also necessary to provide the conditions required to form a gel with the added pectin.

(4) Refrigerate any leftover jelly from filling jars, if any, and enjoy freshly made. Refrigerate the jelly once sealed jars are opened for use.

Developed at The University of Georgia, Athens. Released by Elizabeth L. Andress, Ph.D., Department of Foods and Nutrition, College of Family and Consumer Sciences. May 2018.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky