Rec Tec RT-340 or RT-590?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Lightngsvt

Original poster
Jan 25, 2019
I currently have a Weber Genesis, Large BGE and a Smokin-It electric smoker. I've found the SI is not all I'd hoped it would be for me, even though it's a nice, well made unit. I've decided pellet is the way to go and Rec Tec is the brand. Im having a tough time deciding between the Stampede and the Trailblazer?

If I'm honest with myself the RT-340 is probably good enough for my needs. I will mainly be cooking for 2-4 people, very occasionally more like 6-8. I like to smoke ribs, pork butt, brisket and chicken, but would like to branch out to other foods, desserts, cheeses, etc. I know the Stampede would not limit what I'd want to cook, even on larger cooks, not sure about the Trailblazer?

What about performance? Do they both have the same build quality, smoke output, temp control (smoker and electronics), etc?

My vote is for the RT590 Stampede.

It's big enough without being too big and small enough without being too small.

We love ours and have recently added the competition cart and front shelf to it.

IMG_4202.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

Do you feel it would be overkill if you were only doing 1 or 2 racks of ribs, 2- steaks or an average-sized butt?

Do you feel it would be overkill if you were only doing 1 or 2 racks of ribs, 2- steaks or an average-sized butt?

Nope.

You're describing pretty much how I use mine. Usually one or two racks of ribs at a time. Typically dinner for two. Or a snack for one.

The advantage over the Trailblazer is that I can sometimes get most, or sometimes even all of the entire meal on the Stampede if I need to.

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_2577.jpg

IMG_2356.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

IMG_5545.JPG

IMG_2360.JPG

I also have the extra racks for the Stampede if I need them. They are shown flat in a few of the pics.

IMG_7768 2.JPG

OK that last one was part of dinner for 3.

But the point is, each of the pics you see above, with exception of that last one, I'm cooking for 2. I have room to work. I can get in and get out.

I will mainly be cooking for 2-4 people, very occasionally more like 6-8..

Again, taking into account how you are planning on using it, cooking for as few as 2-4 and as many as 6-8 people, my recommendation would be the Stampede.

Last edited:
Do You have any issues keeping tube burning in the 590 for extra smoke ? Certain placement or just about anywhere ?

No. But then I light it with a blow torch and let it burn for several minutes before placing it into the smoker.

At least 2 inches of pellets have been burned down before I put it into the smoker.

I’ll put it anywhere as long as smoldering pellets will not be close to the temp sensor.

Why are you using the tube with the Stampede, does it not produce enough smoke? I used the "S" shaped tray with my electric smoker, but would have thought the Rec Tec would produce enough smoke on their own for a flavorful smoke?

Why are you using the tube with the Stampede, does it not produce enough smoke? I used the "S" shaped tray with my electric smoker, but would have thought the Rec Tec would produce enough smoke on their own for a flavorful smoke?

It does.

However sometimes I'm in the mood for more smoke than what the pellet grill gives on it's own, and sometimes not. I look at smoke like I look at any other seasoning.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for charcoal and wood smoke profiles, sometimes not.

The reason why you see the smoke tube is the same reason why you see below my current various cookers and smokers. I use different fuels, and in different ways, ie sometimes a smoke tube full of premium A-MAZE-N pellets, other times just pellets from the hopper, other times no smoke tube at all, sometimes Kingsford Briquettes, sometimes Royal Oak lump, sometimes wood chunks, or logs in varying amounts, when I use the other cookers

IMG_2559 4.jpg

IMG_3476.JPG

in efforts to obtain different smoke profiles and strengths according to my cravings for that particular cook.

Thus sometimes my pellet grill will get supplemental smoke, and sometimes not, depending upon what I have a taste for at that time.

IMG_2430.jpg

Did you notice in the pics that you don't see the smoke tube in each instance?

The following cook was done with two smoke tubes. Why? Because I wanted to see what the taste results would be.

IMG_8176 2.JPG

IMG_8193 2.JPG

IMG_0175 2.JPG

IMG_1412 2.JPG

Last edited:
Excellent reply and nice set of hardware you've got there! I have a BGE, Weber propane and soon the rec tec. Do you find yourself using one of the units alot more than the others?

Thanks, both of you for the comps on the grills.

Yes. The Stampede, because of it’s convenience, is the work horse.

Based more than partially on your information SlowmotionQue I placed my order for a Stampede last night! I also ordered 80lbs of pellets, the vent covers and grille cover too. Ill save the searing plates, small shelf, etc so the wife can get them for my birthday in a few months. Now just have to wait for it to arrive!

Based more than partially on your information SlowmotionQue I placed my order for a Stampede last night! I also ordered 80lbs of pellets, the vent covers and grille cover too. Ill save the searing plates, small shelf, etc so the wife can get them for my birthday in a few months. Now just have to wait for it to arrive!

Let me know what you think after a few cooks please!

Like you I have a Weber Genesis and really want a Rec Tec....

John

Most certainly will do. I plan to make a little YouTube video showing the unboxing, assembly and results of the first few cooks. Sounds like a fun project to go along with a new toy. Any more reason to smoke even more meats!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky