Reaper Hot Honey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spag

Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
Portland, Oregon
My friend mentioned to me trying a commercial ‘hot honey’ and asked why I couldn’t do that with Reapers. Not being able to think of a good reason why not…
upload_2019-8-27_20-30-55.png

Jug of honey, some reapers, and cheese cloth.

upload_2019-8-27_20-31-33.png

Couple teabags from hell.

upload_2019-8-27_20-32-34.png

Tried to keep around 175*.

upload_2019-8-27_20-33-35.png

‘Steeped’ for 40 minutes and then into 4oz jars.

The verdict… It’s pretty good. It really brings out the ‘floral’ note of the reapers (the taste right before the inferno starts). This was 10 peppers and 20oz of honey for about 40 minutes at 175*. Maybe a little much.

It’s begging for some fried chicken though.

Great idea! I need to try that with my chupetinhos next spring. Their not that hot, 30,000 scoville heat units, but amazing smoky/fruity flavor.

That is an interesting idea. I've been making my own teriyaki recipe for a while now and I've been trying different ways to make a hot version. Never thought about steeping the honey with the hot peppers. Might have to give it a try.

Thanks guys for the likes and nice words.

UPDATE: I know different folks can take different amounts of heat, but this is way, way too hot. I didn't think you could make honey not sweet anymore, but this does it. I think the temp was good (175*) and the time (40 minutes) and I would use the amount of honey you want to end up with. But 10 peppers is too much. I'm going to try again with 3 peppers and keep everything else the same.

Reactions: fivetricks
Add another 20oz of honey or a tablespoon of hot honey to 3 tablespoons regular honey to get the heat you want in as you need batches.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky