Ready to give it a go....

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by angusmcintosh, Jun 14, 2013.

1. My Family took the hint! They knew I was interested in getting a smoker, so they looked around, did a little research and bought me a Masterbuilt Dual Fuel Smoker for Fathers Day! (I got it early cuz they couldn't find a place to hide it!) I don't know anyone else who even has a smoker (other than the butcher shops) here in Moose Jaw, Sk. Canada., so I am about as raw as you can get. The only things I know about smoking I have learned from reading on these forums and similar websites. I have found there is quite a bit of contradictory information out there, which leads to questions:

1) The Water Pan is too small, they say. What will happen if I use the pan that came with it?

2) The manual says, NEVER use wood chunks, only chips. Why? Why do people say they use chunks anyway? How often will I have to add chips / chunks to the smoker box?

3) Is there a benefit to charcoal over propane? (or vice versa)

4) Should I really use a cast iron frying pan instead of the chip box that came with?

5) What is the number 1 tip for controlling heat? How do I set the dampers

Anyway, I will likely start with smaller smokes before I tackle the bigger chunks of meat, but I am looking forward to getting started. I was thinking this weekend but rain might put a crimp in the plans.

Angus

2. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hello fellow Canadian. I am relatively new to smoking and don't have the answers to your questions but I suspect you will get them answered on this forum. There is so much information in the postings and the experienced members are so generous with their advice. They have been great in dealing with my Newbie questions and I hope you enjoy the forums as much as I do.

Disco

3. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Welcome , Angus. We hope you enjoy our site enough to call it home ; we're nicer anyhow, and know more...[​IMG]

Here's MHO to your questions :in red...
    Good luck Angus , and as always ...

4. seenred

seenred Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Welcome to the forums, Angus!  Glad you've joined us.  You've found a great place to learn and share ideas on our favorite pastimes...grilling, smoking, and curing great food!  There are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who really enjoy helping one another.  Just ask any time you need help and you'll get plenty!

Stan's got you covered...good luck with your first smoke!  And be sure to post some qview to let us know how it goes!

Red

5. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

[​IMG]to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us!

Jeff offers a free 5 day E-Course.  It's packed with great information to use...no matter what your experience level might be!  http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-basics-ecourse

If you didn't read the "Terms of Service" notes.....please do.  There are a few things that everyone should know about those pesky little rules before plunging into the forums. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/terms-of-service

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Kat

6. Thanks! I have already devoured day 1 of the 5day course....can hardly wait for day 2!

This Forum is awesome....just sayin'

Angus