Reaction score. Where did it go?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was removed because it was being abused by many members in one way or another. People were abusing it differently but abusing it none the less. If you would like to discuss this further you can send me a PM I believe Brian will be busy the next few days and don't know how much he will be on here

Ok after getting a few PM's I guess I better get farther into this here. People were giving likes for pure BS things. For example Adam/PC Farmer creates a thread and I think it has good stuff in it and was worthy of points so I hit the thumbs up. That is what it was designed for. Now when Adam comes back and gives me a like because I said I liked his thread is not what it was designed for. When Brian goes in and says Adam's food that was in that thread looked good and I go and Adam and I both give Brian points for saying he liked Adam's thread that is not what it was designed for. When Adam posts "Thanks Brian" and Brian and I both give Adam points for that guess what that's not what it was designed for.
So for those sending me PM's saying I wasn't doing anything wrong or all my points were all earned stop sending me that BS some of you did no wrong and some did you know whether you did or didn't and so do many others and I can assure you every Admin knows as do most other Staff Members.
Now if you still have any questions or comments feel free to PM me

So for those sending me PM's saying I wasn't doing anything wrong or all my points were all earned stop sending me that BS some of you did no wrong and some did you know whether you did or didn't and so do many others and I can assure you every Admin knows as do most other Staff Members.
Now if you still have any questions or comments feel free to PM me

What's with this? I didn't think it was wrong to like other posts and comments. I don't care one way or another if that score is displayed. But who cares if people like posts or comments?

Had no choice. Had to like that last message just for the sake of irony.

I always liked the “like” because Al always said that when he liked your thread. The idea of a reaction score And people cheating the system to have a better one is funny to me.

Just my 2 cents that isn’t worth anything.

Scott

Now example two
A few members like maybe three decided to hit the thumbs up thingy on each other's posts mutiple, mutiple, mutiple in other words lots and lots of times to inflate the reaction score this was not what it was intended for either and even us lame Admins know that :emoji_laughing:

What's with this? I didn't think it was wrong to like other posts and comments. I don't care one way or another if that score is displayed. But who cares if people like posts or comments?

There is nothing wrong with it I guess but is not what the reaction score was intended for and so it was removed.
Well since some people in a very short amount of time managed to inflate the reaction scores of a couple of their friends we started getting PM's about it. Since that little group did what they did they must have cared about it.
When members started sending Pm's about what that little group did they must have cared about it.
When we took the reaction score thing down and have been getting comments somebody must care.
You just made your post so evidently you care

I saw the abuser's in action!! Trying to set a record for the most hits I guess or it could have been driven by alcohol ??? Next time they should have to sit in the time out chair...lol

Reactions: TNJAKE

I always liked the “like” because Al always said that when he liked your thread. The idea of a reaction score And people cheating the system to have a better one is funny to me.

Scott

Scott it's sad to me and some others at what some members find important. Things like post count, reaction score, having featured content, it seems it never ends with some people. It's a shame people can't just find important all the good people we have on this site sharing good information with others about something we must all enjoy or we wouldn't have come here in the first place.
If people would just step back and look at the wealth of knowledge on this site they might find that's the important stuff.
If people would look at the members here and their willingness to help other members new and old learn the art of smoking and share recipes and knowledge with others they might just find the important stuff.
Most members me included need to stop and think about what they knew when they got here and what they know now about smoking and cooking in general maybe some important stuff in that

Scott

most staff members are just glad there was no remove point system in place :emoji_astonished::emoji_laughing:

Personally I could care less about points or likes. There are people here who I have a ton of respect for. When one of them responds or "likes" my pictures or post, that makes me feel better than any score of some sort could. Again this is just my opinion and how I see this site. Steve I have more respect for you than you'll ever know but I think the moderators made a good call.

Reactions: hillbillyrkstr
Now example two
A few members like maybe three decided to hit the thumbs up thingy on each other's posts mutiple, mutiple, mutiple in other words lots and lots of times to inflate the reaction score this was not what it was intended for either and even us lame Admins know that :emoji_laughing:
Realistically it seems the likes and reaction score system worked well for a long time. I’d hate to think it needed changed for just a few people. Not going to lose sleep over it and love the site anyway but like Steve and many others I was pretty proud of the reaction score. With or without it I’ll still do my best to post quality content.

Realistically it seems the likes and reaction score system worked well for a long time. I’d hate to think it needed changed for just a few people. Not going to lose sleep over it and love the site anyway but like Steve and many others I was pretty proud of the reaction score. With or without it I’ll still do my best to post quality content.

Jeff I enjoy reading your threads even tho I don't post very much I do still read a fair number of threads and posts. I don't post near as much as I used to and I think you'll find that's true of most staff members it just seems there is usually other stuff for us to do while we are on. It was not just that incident that resulted in the removal of the reaction score system. As I said in another post it wasn't being used for what it was intended a and that incident just made us start looking at whole thing. Look at some recent threads when somebody receives likes for just saying Thank you for liking my thread or nice job it very much looks like it's just a matter of giving friends as many reaction points as possible without doing it like the people that just kept hitting the like button over and over on the same post in the end it still works out to inflated numbers

Jeff I enjoy reading your threads even tho I don't post very much I do still read a fair number of threads and posts. I don't post near as much as I used to and I think you'll find that's true of most staff members it just seems there is usually other stuff for us to do while we are on. It was not just that incident that resulted in the removal of the reaction score system. As I said in another post it wasn't being used for what it was intended a and that incident just made us start looking at whole thing. Look at some recent threads when somebody receives likes for just saying Thank you for liking my thread or nice job it very much looks like it's just a matter of giving friends as many reaction points as possible without doing it like the people that just kept hitting the like button over and over on the same post in the end it still works out to inflated numbers
Understood Piney and I appreciate the kind words about my posts.

Oh wait...who's on first? Just read a bunch of the posts...damn near gave me a headache! I'm still kinda like HUH? I've been a member for awhile and it's starting to sound like alot of bullshit! Yes its a family site but I'm a simple country boy farmer, so scold me if you want. I'm not politically correct and never will be, I speak my mind and on occasion have had to go apologize cuz I was wrong. But what's next? Participation awards? Maybe some people need to grow up or work more...I for one didn't even pay attention to it. And I couldn't care less either way.
Now to the mods... this is in no way a criticism of what you do... I appreciate the great job you do! It's not a criticism of anybody, except maybe that it's an issue.

What I come to this site for is to appreciate what you all have taught me! The friends I've made but never met. The want to learn more and up my game and try something outside my comfort zone.

Ryan

I appreciate the Likes but don't pay attention to how many I have. I don't thank each person, individually, for Likes, but when I see a bunch of responses I will give a Global Thank You.
I came here with a strong background in Cooking and Food Safety, but knew little about smoking. That credit goes to many here and many whom their Posts are their Legacy.
All should know, I may not say it with a Like, but I still Love that you are here and Share what you got...JJ

What I come to this site for is to appreciate what you all have taught me! The friends I've made but never met. The want to learn more and up my game and try something outside my comfort zone.

Ryan

I think most came here to learn and share what they might know. The friends are a bonus for sure. It's amazing how many really good people there are on this site and how many are willing to answer a newbies question even tho it's been asked a thousand times without giving them a hard time. Hopefully we all continue to learn from each other.
It's a shame some get into the post counts, points, and stuff like that instead of the stuff they actually joined for

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I think most came here to learn and share what they might know. The friends are a bonus for sure. It's amazing how many really good people there are on this site and how many are willing to answer a newbies question even tho it's been asked a thousand times without giving them a hard time. Hopefully we all continue to learn from each other.
It's a shame some get into the post counts, points, and stuff like that instead of the stuff they actually joined for
Yes it is. I'm gonna be sarcastic for a second cuz I know you all can't do it... but send the issue makers to Facebook, that's where it belongs! I don't have Facebook bs and that's why I like to hang out here.

Keep up the good work!
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky