Reaction score. Where did it go?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wait...who's on first? Just read a bunch of the posts...damn near gave me a headache! I'm still kinda like HUH? I've been a member for awhile and it's starting to sound like alot of bullshit! Yes its a family site but I'm a simple country boy farmer, so scold me if you want. I'm not politically correct and never will be, I speak my mind and on occasion have had to go apologize cuz I was wrong. But what's next? Participation awards? Maybe some people need to grow up or work more...I for one didn't even pay attention to it. And I couldn't care less either way.

Well said. This site used to be enjoyable. Time for me to move on

• Haha
Reactions: daveomak
Scott it's sad to me and some others at what some members find important. Things like post count, reaction score, having featured content, it seems it never ends with some people. It's a shame people can't just find important all the good people we have on this site sharing good information with others about something we must all enjoy or we wouldn't have come here in the first place.
If people would just step back and look at the wealth of knowledge on this site they might find that's the important stuff.
If people would look at the members here and their willingness to help other members new and old learn the art of smoking and share recipes and knowledge with others they might just find the important stuff.
Most members me included need to stop and think about what they knew when they got here and what they know now about smoking and cooking in general maybe some important stuff in that

Yeah no doubt. This site is one of the greatest resources anyone can ask for. Wealth of knowledge and people who want to help. I’m very thankful for this page. I’ve met some great people here who now are great friends.

Scott

There is nothing wrong with it I guess but is not what the reaction score was intended for and so it was removed.
Well since some people in a very short amount of time managed to inflate the reaction scores of a couple of their friends we started getting PM's about it. Since that little group did what they did they must have cared about it.
When members started sending Pm's about what that little group did they must have cared about it.
When we took the reaction score thing down and have been getting comments somebody must care.
You just made your post so evidently you care

Nope I really don't care about it at all. I was just asking a question. But you do you man.

I'm probably partly to blame, because I'm one of those who complained.
I got over 15,000, and SmokingAl has over 9,000 Likes, because we help a lot of people & we've been here for 12 years. It used to be called Points, until the last platform change. It used to take a lot longer to build up points, I think because there used to be a limit of 10 or whatever points per day. The guys today are building their Likes faster than we did, because of that faster thing. I don't know why they got rid of the Limit per day thing, but it appears they did. I didn't like it personally, because some days I used to see 4 or 5 worthy of a Point, and other days I'd see 14 or 15 that were worthy, so I used to save the names of the ones I couldn't give worthy points to, until another day, when I had extra ones left.
But none of that matters too me. I complained to Brian because of 3 guys going from less than 3,000 Likes to over 9,000 in just about overnight. I don't even know how they did that, but my suspicious mind thought a Moderator would have to be involved, to make those changes
So I told Brian if it can't be kept honest, then it should be gotten rid of completely, including my 15,000+ and Al's 9,000+. I'm sure Al would agree, because I always liked the point system, before this overnight Abuse.
I'm thinking Brian had trouble deciding what to do, so he just hid the "Likes" counts, so nobody can see anybody's likes count, but their own. But that's just my guess.

So That's My 2 cents,

Bear

Reactions: bigfurmn
Seems it would have been better served to just ban the trio of abusers rather than punish everyone. Was pretty proud of my reaction score as well.

Seems it would have been better served to just ban the trio of abusers rather than punish everyone. Was pretty proud of my reaction score as well.

That was my suggestion, but who am I?? I'm just a Dumb Old Bear!

Bear

It's really sad some people have to be that pathetic! I feel sorry for them. Probably would be thankful for flowers.

Ryan

Agreed Jake and Ryan.
I joined with the goal of learning some of the wealth of wisdom from within these sacred walls and share some of my limited knowledge when possible. I always noticed the reaction score but never really understood it and have very limited social media skills at 61 yrs old.
But I'm sure the majority of these scores were well deserved and appreciated !
Sad to see a few people cause everyone to suffer .
Keith

Bearcarver was not the only one to complain there were others.
I have tried to explain this more than one time in this thread and in PM's let me try one more time and let me also say this was brought to TulsaJeff's attention and he agreed it was time to remove the reaction score. As the site owner he always has the final say.

Now since some peoples names have been brought up lets look

SmokinAL who has been a member since 2009 has over 48,000 posts and has started many threads and helped many many members has a reputation score of 8959.

ChefJimmyJ who has been a member since 2011 has over 22,000 posts and has started many threads and helped many many members has a reputation score of 7070.

Bearcarver who has been a member since 2009 has a post count over 42,000 and has started many threads and has helped many many members has a reputation score of 15,133.

Now some members who have been around a year or two maybe three and have started a good number of threads (not as many as those listed above) and have helped some people have reputation scores over 7000 or 8000 with a whole lot less posts then those I mentioned above.

The few who's scores inflated very quickly made us look at the entire system and it was determined that the system was no longer working as intended so it was removed.
I should have said the complaints about the few made us look at the entire system

Well it didn't work years ago when it was points and it was eliminated.
I'm good with it, or without it. I've never really pay much attention to it anyways.

Now some members who have been around a year or two maybe three and have started a good number of threads (not as many as those listed above) and have helped some people have reputation scores over 7000 or 8000 with a whole lot less posts then those I mentioned above.

Not sure how that makes a difference. But I asked a question. Got an answer. Thank you for the explanation.

Steve it makes a difference in what the intended use was when it was created and what it has become

Thank You for your understanding

Steve it makes a difference in what the intended use was when it was created and what it has become
Might as well remove the like function altogether then as now everyone is confused as when it's ok to like something someone posts or says. It's a worthless function now

This thread has run its course I've tried to explain the reasons some have understood some refuse to

Reactions: flatbroke
Status
Not open for further replies.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky