Ramblings from another new guy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Heyoleman

Original poster
Jul 19, 2018
Hello all. I'm Dave and I like to cook...outside. I'm new to this forum (semi active on a couple woodworking forums), and greener'n a gourd on this smoker thing. I've been grilling on my Weber charcoal grill for years....steaks, chops, burgers, etc, but nothing over 10-15 minutes. My two daughters decided I need to jump into the smoking arena. They bought me an electric smoker for my upcoming 62nd birthday. It's a Masterbuilt MES 35B. It seems to be 'entry level', which is fine by me at this point.
I put it together Friday afternoon, read the literature that came with it, then settled in and found this place. I read Jeff's eCourse, and quite a bit here on the forum. The main thing I've learned so far is that the options are unlimited.
I was chomping at the bit to plug this thing in and get it seasoned (per instructions), but we've had on again-off again thunderstorms all weekend here (about an hour north of Indianapolis) and I didn't feel comfortable mixing electricity with rain. Chances of rain are pretty slim today, so it is seasoning as we speak.
I have a ton of questions, but I'll save them for another post, and hopefully get them in the right place.

Welcome to the board from next door in Ohio! Use the Search here to look up your smoker and see how people use them.

You can smoke on the Weber, too. Just stoke with wood and control the air flow so you get the Thin Blue Smoke.

And "pics or it didn't happen" we're heavy on the pictures here.

Reactions: Heyoleman
Hello Dave,
I’m Dave too, a woodworker, and also from next door in Ohio. I’ve spent the last 5 days in Indy for my son’s baseball tourney. We played at Hamilton Heights High school (north of Indy in your area) as well as Grand Park and some other college and high school fields.

You came to the right place to learn about the art of smoked meat. These guys will teach you everything you need to know about your new smoker. I’m not much help on the electric stuff as I have a offset smoker. Good luck and take pictures.

Welcome from another Hoosier (northwest near the lake). Lots to learn for your new hobby but it is so much fun.

I have an electric smoker and a pellet (which of course uses electricity). I've used both in the rain with no issues. Make sure you take proper precautions (grounding, etc) and you should be okay, though I probably wouldn't do it in a hurricane.

And yes, we need pix!!

Welcome. Ohio is representing strong today :) Also a wooddorker. I have smoked plenty of times in the rain and I elevate the extension cord junction, put a small bucket over the controller, and grab a few pieces from the scrap bin to keep rain out of the vent but leave plenty of room for it to breathe. If you are really freaked out about rain plug into GFI. There are quite a few guys who built a little shed for their smoker for this exact reason...

Be sure and grab Jeff's recipes. A must have. And also an AMNPS. For maiden voyage I recommend ribs with Jeff's 3-2-1 method. Pretty much a sure win.

Welcome Aboard from Wisconsin! Alot of MES users here! I actually went from a cheapo charcoal one to the MES. It's alot easier to do things with.

I always put a huge bowl over my MES' control unit if I'm using it and it starts raining, I haven't had problems yet with that method.

And my first smoke on my MES was a pork butt! It's pretty forgiving!

Welcome to SMF from the great white north....
upload_2018-7-23_13-38-27.png

Welcome! The smoke blows in all different directions around here. When you catch a whiff of something that smells good to you, follow your nose. There is no shortage of new and exotic smells in the air.

Thanks for the warm welcome gentlemen. I truly appreciate the feedback.

I went shopping this afternoon. I bought a Maverick HD32 and a 3lb pork loin.
Gonna get this ball rolling tomorrow.

I plan to post an ‘as built’ thread with pics as I go. Do I put it in ‘Smoking Meat / pork’ ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky