Rack of Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Johnny Ray

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
Western, KY
Hello everyone. I don’t post very many of my cooks. It seems to me that most fall a bit short of my expectations. I started not to post this due to the bones being so black. I should have wrapped them with foil. But like my wife said “we’re not going to eat the bones.”
Anyhow, I bought this 5.5 pound rack of pork at Cosco. I’ve never cooked a bone in rack of pork before but have always wanted to give it a go.
I Frenched the bones, removed most of the fat and silver skin. I brined it over night in a brine solution of:
64 ounces of apple juice
3/4 cup of kosher salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 granulated garlic
(How to bbq right recipe)
Once out of the brine I tied it up with butcher twine for uniformity.
Applied a medium coat of salt, pepper and garlic.
80970239-816B-4FD1-8EF1-FB995986C1CA.jpeg
After applying the rub I rested it the fridge for several hours.
I cooked it on my Rec Teq Bullseye Pellet Grill at 325*. It took 1 hour and 50 minutes to reach 140* internal. Rested it for 15 minutes or so and cut two slices for dinner. Served with sweet potato casserole and green beans (sorry no plated shot).
D389356E-2F23-4824-B490-190760DF6840.jpeg
Like I said I wasn’t planning to post this but I was completely blown away by how tender, juicy and delicious this turned out.
Thanks for looking and take care

Johnny Ray

I sure don't care about black bones! The meat looks great and you piqued my interest in doing one of these, too.
I'm sure it was delicious!
Thanks for sharing!

Looks delicious. Before reading your post I first looked at the photos, I saw the black bones and didn't think anything of it. What I did focus on was the meat and how moist and succulent it looked, along with the nice color on the outside. Great job.

Rob

Cooked one yesterday also. I've cooked several now and everyone agrees that it is the absolute best chop they've ever eaten. So easy, so cheap. Can't beat it. I never brined due to the 10% solution that is already added to the roast. Should have taken pics. Gorgeous hunk of pork!
[CHAT=][/CHAT]

Man those look fantastic!! No one worries much about bones unless you are in a comp. Good job!!

I sure don't care about black bones! The meat looks great and you piqued my interest in doing one of these, too.
I'm sure it was delicious!
Thanks for sharing!
Thank you bdawg. I would highly recommend giving it a go. Great meal with leftovers. Can’t beat that.
JR

Reactions: bdawg
Looks delicious. Before reading your post I first looked at the photos, I saw the black bones and didn't think anything of it. What I did focus on was the meat and how moist and succulent it looked, along with the nice color on the outside. Great job.

Rob
Thank you Rob. The crust was delicious. I was amazed at the flavor the meat had throughout.
As for the crust I forgot to mention that I basted it with a mixture of 2/3 liquid butter (fake butter) and 1/3 teriyaki sauce. I used this on almost all grilled meats. Straight out of the bottle it doesn’t taste very good but when applied to hot meat it is magical.
JR

Cooked one yesterday also. I've cooked several now and everyone agrees that it is the absolute best chop they've ever eaten. So easy, so cheap. Can't beat it. I never brined due to the 10% solution that is already added to the roast. Should have taken pics. Gorgeous hunk of pork!
[CHAT=][/CHAT]
Thank you Dantij. I will definitely being doing more of these. I didn’t even notice the 10% solution added. That’s unusual for me because I always try and check the labels.
On my next one I will only brine it for 6 to 8 hours and see how it turns out.
JR

Thank you Texas Cookin’.
I’m assuming from your screen name you’re in Texas. I’ve got a trip planned for there this year. Austin, Big Bone NP, Carlsbad Caverns and Amarillo.
JR
Yes Sir born and raised Texan here. Great trip planned. Be sure to check out Palo Duro Canyon State Park when you get to the Amarillo area. Wave if you drive through Abilene!

Yes Sir born and raised Texan here. Great trip planned. Be sure to check out Palo Duro Canyon State Park when you get to the Amarillo area. Wave if you drive through Abilene!
We will be camping at Palo Duro Canyon State Park. Can’t wait. Should be an epic trip.
JR

Great looking pork ! I've been wanting to try that brine too. Glad to hear(and see) your report.

Great looking pork ! I've been wanting to try that brine too. Glad to hear(and see) your report.
Thank you. It was brought to my attention that this roast had a 10% solution added. On my next one I think I’ll brine it for 6 to 8 versus overnight.
JR

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky