Quick smoked Chuckie for Pulled Beef Sammies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KrisUpInSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
I was tight on time prepping for a big graduation party. I wanted to get the chuck roast good and smokey, then finish it up in the crockpot to shred for sandwiches the next day.

I started with three good sized chuck roasts.
20190531_095502.jpg

I cut the roasts into evenly sized chunks and trimmed connective tissue and fat, so they'd smoke faster. Rubbed them with mustard and Pork Barrel BBQ, which tasted of herbs, pepper and seasoning without much sweetness to it.
20190531_095632.jpg

Here they are panned and going in the smoker using Oak, with the trimmed pieces going in for fat, flavor and snacks...
20190531_102736.jpg

Sneaking a peek before wrapping the trays in foil at 185° IT. Too much to do and time got away from me, or I would have wrapped at 160° IT.
20190531_115537.jpg

They went in at 10:30 am and came out at about 12:30pm. Smoking at around 225°, the chuckie chunks had an IT of 209° in about 2 hours! They weren't falling apart, probably because I waited until IT 189° to wrap. I don't think they were able to steam long enough. But, that's ok since they're going in the crockpot next day and I wanted that smoke.
20190603_185432.jpg

All of that meat in one bag, packed up for their big day tomorrow.
20190603_194249.jpg

On the big day, chuckie went into the crockpot with Sweet Baby Rays sauce. After about 2 hours on high and 1 hour on low, it was shreddable. (May have been ready sooner, but this is when I had time to check.) The sauce carmelized nicely on the meat in the crockpot. Some pieces collapsed under the pressure of the fork, some came apart easily with two forks.
20190601_133221.jpg

It was a big hit! The entire 7 quart crockpot full was gone, even with plenty of other food available. I would definitely do chuckie this way again!

Some of the other food I made for the party on this plate, (from 9 o'clock) Texas Chili Frito Pie, Pierogi Lasagna, Antipasto Tortellini Salad, Lemon Parsley Bean salad, meatballs, the pulled chuckie, and BB Ribs, ...
20190603_202727.jpg

9 beautiful racks of Baby Backs...
945_IMG_20190601_162252.jpg

Thanks to the great guys in chat for the advice and Z zippy12 for suggesting Chuckie for the Pulled Beef.

Thanks for looking!

I was tight on time prepping for a big graduation party. I wanted to get the chuck roast good and smokey, then finish it up in the crockpot to shred for sandwiches the next day.

I started with three good sized chuck roasts.View attachment 397220

I cut the roasts into evenly sized chunks and trimmed connective tissue and fat, so they'd smoke faster. Rubbed them with mustard and Pork Barrel BBQ, which tasted of herbs, pepper and seasoning without much sweetness to it.
View attachment 397221

Here they are panned and going in the smoker using Oak, with the trimmed pieces going in for fat, flavor and snacks...
View attachment 397222

Sneaking a peek before wrapping the trays in foil at 185° IT. Too much to do and time got away from me, or I would have wrapped at 160° IT.
View attachment 397223

They went in at 10:30 am and came out at about 12:30pm. Smoking at around 225°, the chuckie chunks had an IT of 209° in about 2 hours! They weren't falling apart, probably because I waited until IT 189° to wrap. I don't think they were able to steam long enough. But, that's ok since they're going in the crockpot next day and I wanted that smoke.
View attachment 397224

All of that meat in one bag, packed up for their big day tomorrow.
View attachment 397225

On the big day, chuckie went into the crockpot with Sweet Baby Rays sauce. After about 2 hours on high and 1 hour on low, it was shreddable. (May have been ready sooner, but this is when I had time to check.) The sauce carmelized nicely on the meat in the crockpot. Some pieces collapsed under the pressure of the fork, some came apart easily with two forks.
View attachment 397226

It was a big hit! The entire 7 quart crockpot full was gone, even with plenty of other food available. I would definitely do chuckie this way again!

Some of the other food I made for the party on this plate, (from 9 o'clock) Texas Chili Frito Pie, Pierogi Lasagna, Antipasto Tortellini Salad, Lemon Parsley Bean salad, meatballs, the pulled chuckie, and BB Ribs, ...
View attachment 397232

All looks great. That pierogi lasagna sounds interesting. Can you share the recipe?
9 beautiful racks of Baby Backs...
View attachment 397229

Thanks to the great guys in chat for the advice and Z zippy12 for suggesting Chuckie for the Pulled Beef.

Thanks for looking!

Looks like you nailed it Kris, all that worry for nuttin.

Good looking smoke there Kris. Pulled chuck is a favorite around here.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky