Quick slow cooks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
it was juicy and tender. The smoke taste was a little on the strong side for my liking...on the skin anyways (I used oak fist sized chunks about 7 in total unsoaked). My wood gave off a very strong offensive white smoke until it had burned for a while? Temp kept dropping to 200F vents no longer helping and I realised I was running low on coals (weber briquettes) wasn't prepared but I just kept pushing the remaining hot coals over to the left closer to pit adding extra coals on the right sometimes using wood to ignite them as they weren't catching quick enough. It was really late and I hadn't got a clue what I was supposed to be doing so just tried to think logically about it and just hoped I was doing the right thing. Also noticed a lot of ash below the fire grate. Skin wasn't fully crispy felt a bit synthetic.

I started with 3/4 weber chimney full was that enough, should I have added more at the start or after a while?
How often should I have added the wood it seemed I used a lot by the end?
Should I soak the wood first?
Should I aim for a higher temp?
Should I switch to lump wood or modify fire box to avoid the ash problem?

These are the things I have been thinking about doing differently next time... but first if its not too much trouble I would love sone feedback/advice.

P.S there was very little wind during my whole smoking session.

P.P.S sorry for the essay and the late update had a very busy day again.

Thanks in advance
Charlotte

Seven chunks seems a little excessive to me. Poultry takes on smoke rather quickly. I usually use one maybe two good sized chunks. You'll figure out the level of smokiness that you like.

I can't remember which smoker your using so I can't say how much charcoal. In my WSM I fill the charcoal ring up completely and only add about 8 lit coals for a low and slow smoke. I'll leave all my vents open until the smoker comes up to about ten degrees above the temp I'm looking for. With poultry I'll start with about 3/4 of a chimney full of lit coals. Then I'll adjust the lower vents until it stabilizes. Do not soak your wood. Chicken can be done at lower or higher temps. Some cook at lower temps and broil or sear on a grill towards the end to crisp up the skin. I cook chicken at a higher temp usually around 325 so no searing required. Switching to lump will get you a hotter smoker. Some people make charcoal baskets out of expanded metal to help control ash and temps.

Good luck and keep on smoking.

Chris

Reactions: CharlotteLovesFood
I think you did very well your first time out. if you get to 154 degrees IT or even 145 and you want throw that bird on a hot grill for 15-20 minutes and crisp your skin and maybe add some sauce if you like and then be done! Also i like to smoke above 220 (250-275) but if you like the really low and slow then have at it.
Sounds like you enjoyed it. i know i smoke early in the morning (5am) so i have a few led lights you can buy for your smoker/grill for my patio and i use my phone to jam to some music. you will find your groove with your smoking and you will become as knowledgeable as you are obsessed with it as the rest of us are!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Looks and smells the part...
View attachment 362782 View attachment 362784 View attachment 362786

It's 2.40am now so I'm going to have a quick taste then it's straight to bed for me.

I will update more tomorrow on my thoughts and findings. Thank you to everyone who helped me through my stressful first smoke and sorry I didn't get chance to reply to you all individually but you all know who you are.

That Looks Beautiful !!:)
Looks like you've been doing this for years!!

Bear

Seven chunks seems a little excessive to me. Poultry takes on smoke rather quickly. I usually use one maybe two good sized chunks. You'll figure out the level of smokiness that you like.

I can't remember which smoker your using so I can't say how much charcoal. In my WSM I fill the charcoal ring up completely and only add about 8 lit coals for a low and slow smoke. I'll leave all my vents open until the smoker comes up to about ten degrees above the temp I'm looking for. With poultry I'll start with about 3/4 of a chimney full of lit coals. Then I'll adjust the lower vents until it stabilizes. Do not soak your wood. Chicken can be done at lower or higher temps. Some cook at lower temps and broil or sear on a grill towards the end to crisp up the skin. I cook chicken at a higher temp usually around 325 so no searing required. Switching to lump will get you a hotter smoker. Some people make charcoal baskets out of expanded metal to help control ash and temps.

Good luck and keep on smoking.

Chris
Sorry for the late reply and thank you so much for taking the time to reply in depth...

Yeah I thought it was an excessive amount too...it still tasted nice and like you said I think I'll get used to my own taste. I think it was mainly the skin. I did another smoke today (lamb) turned out great and only used 2 chunks of wood but I used a full chimney of coal this time and found out my hood temp was out by 50F so guess that could of also been my problem... I thought I was at 220F when I was actually lower. I have a Jumbuck duel fuel with offset smoker.

Thanks again for the advice really appreciate it :)

I think you did very well your first time out. if you get to 154 degrees IT or even 145 and you want throw that bird on a hot grill for 15-20 minutes and crisp your skin and maybe add some sauce if you like and then be done! Also i like to smoke above 220 (250-275) but if you like the really low and slow then have at it.
Sounds like you enjoyed it. i know i smoke early in the morning (5am) so i have a few led lights you can buy for your smoker/grill for my patio and i use my phone to jam to some music. you will find your groove with your smoking and you will become as knowledgeable as you are obsessed with it as the rest of us are!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Hi again Aaron,
I think I found out the problem my hood temp was out by 50F when I compared with my probe on there. So I wasn't actually cooking at the 220F I thought I was. I was up at 5am today doing lamb and it went better because I used my probe to monitor both pit and IT...i also started with a full chimney of coal today and only had to use 2 chunks of wood. I still enjoyed the chicken anyway and have probably learned more this way.

The lights sound like a great idea...as well as the music!

I'm already feeling more positive about it now, it's all starting to make more sense to me, so I could possibly be getting the hang of it. I'll still need help and prob mess thing's up but hey that's why we're all here :)

Thanks for the help the other night and for this reply also :)

Charlotte

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky