Quick slow cooks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Temperature dropped for a while and it's taken me ages to get it back up...i was ready to throw the towel in but I'm not giving in.

Back up to 220F now not sure if this chicken will still be edible but I'm gonna cook the beggar either way!

The thing about cooking this way is it is almost always an exercise in patience. Never give up! Sometimes you will learn more from failures than from success.
Thanks oddegan for your kind words...
I'll sit out here all night if I have to...I'm literally sitting out in the dark with the torch on my phone :D I don't doubt for a second this is a huge learning curve

Reactions: oddegan
You are living up to your handle! I'm thinking the time difference is six hours. So maybe it's a little late there. Great food is worth it. You've got this! It will be awesome!
Yep it's 11.04pm here and I'm running on cider! Haha but like you said it will be worth it

Reactions: oddegan
Screenshot_20180506-000324.png
Breasts are done... is it just a case of waiting on the thighs and will my breasts dry out?

I shall continue to wait :rolleyes:
I never thought I'd be rooting through my box at this hour for a smaller piece of wood to finish the job :D

Looks and smells the part...
Screenshot_20180506-022328.jpg Screenshot_20180506-022618.jpg Screenshot_20180506-022857.jpg

It's 2.40am now so I'm going to have a quick taste then it's straight to bed for me.

I will update more tomorrow on my thoughts and findings. Thank you to everyone who helped me through my stressful first smoke and sorry I didn't get chance to reply to you all individually but you all know who you are.

Thanks guys :D I'm happy with it as a first attempt but of course there's always room for improvement...

My findings were that...
it was juicy and tender. The smoke taste was a little on the strong side for my liking...on the skin anyways (I used oak fist sized chunks about 7 in total unsoaked). My wood gave off a very strong offensive white smoke until it had burned for a while? Temp kept dropping to 200F vents no longer helping and I realised I was running low on coals (weber briquettes) wasn't prepared but I just kept pushing the remaining hot coals over to the left closer to pit adding extra coals on the right sometimes using wood to ignite them as they weren't catching quick enough. It was really late and I hadn't got a clue what I was supposed to be doing so just tried to think logically about it and just hoped I was doing the right thing. Also noticed a lot of ash below the fire grate. Skin wasn't fully crispy felt a bit synthetic.

I started with 3/4 weber chimney full was that enough, should I have added more at the start or after a while?
How often should I have added the wood it seemed I used a lot by the end?
Should I soak the wood first?
Should I aim for a higher temp?
Should I switch to lump wood or modify fire box to avoid the ash problem?

These are the things I have been thinking about doing differently next time... but first if its not too much trouble I would love sone feedback/advice.

P.S there was very little wind during my whole smoking session.

P.P.S sorry for the essay and the late update had a very busy day again.

Thanks in advance
Charlotte

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky