Quick question about Pop's Brine...splitting the batch into two 2 containers, 1/2 gal each?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SherryT

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2017
Crawford AL
To clarify...

I bought a pork loin, 4.64lbs, halved it down the meddle length-wise and then cut each piece into halves (4 pcs total).

I "thought" my container would hold the gallon of brine and the meat, but it doesn't (I should have checked), so to get into in the fridge tonight, I split the brine into two containers, added the meat, weighted/covered, and got it in the fridge.

Did I just make a mistake? CAN you split the brine into two batches or would that effect the curing process?

If needed, I'll go buy a suitable container tomorrow and combine the two...I'm "thinking" that even though the ratio is the same, the amount of CURE in each batch would be insufficient.

Help?

Thanks!

Sherry

The correct way to cure meat in a brine solution.....
Weigh the meat and weigh the liquid.... Add 1 level tsp. per 5#'s pounds (0.25%) of cure#1... that's water and meat weight totalled... Sugar and salt is your preference... I prefer 1.75% kosher salt and 1% white sugar...

As long as you mix it before you split it, you will be fine. However there has to be enough brine to cover each piece. It doesn’t matter the size of each piece, the concentration of the brine is the same in both containers.
Al

I always mix it in gallons . If one don't cover I make 2 gallons . Just the way I understood it from Pops .
Interesting
I always mix it in gallons . If one don't cover I make 2 gallons . Just the way I understood it from Pops .
i mix it by the gallon also but only use what is required to cover the meat some times it’s 3 gallon sometime it’s 31/2 gallon depending on the width of the container

Reactions: chopsaw
To clarify...

I bought a pork loin, 4.64lbs, halved it down the meddle length-wise and then cut each piece into halves (4 pcs total).

I "thought" my container would hold the gallon of brine and the meat, but it doesn't (I should have checked), so to get into in the fridge tonight, I split the brine into two containers, added the meat, weighted/covered, and got it in the fridge.

Did I just make a mistake? CAN you split the brine into two batches or would that effect the curing process?

If needed, I'll go buy a suitable container tomorrow and combine the two...I'm "thinking" that even though the ratio is the same, the amount of CURE in each batch would be insufficient.

Help?

Thanks!

Sherry

I Double Checked with Pops a number of times on his Mix & Method.
He always said, as long as your mix is the right strength, the only thing important is that all the Meat is covered, and you do it for the right length of time at the right Temp.
No weighing of the Meat is Necessary.

Bear

My understanding is not to split it . I always do it as a gallon .
Agree; I recall we are not to split or scale down but admit I do not understand it. I would bet serious money this issue stems from Pop's family having to have an annual USDA inspection...

If i have a 12 ounce beer, 6% ABV, and pour it into 2 6 ounce glasses, the %ABV is still 6 for each glass.

If i split it into an 8 ounce glass and a 4 ounce glass, each glass would still be 6% ABV..

I like the analogy ... as long as you don't have to add more water (diluting the mix) to cover ..

If i have a 12 ounce beer, 6% ABV, and pour it into 2 6 ounce glasses, the %ABV is still 6 for each glass.

Bill, morning..... it may be 6% ABV... BUT .... The amount of alcohol has been cut in half or ???
It ain't like you can get the same "buzz" from 1/2 the alcohol.....
Same with the CURING BRINE....
You are cutting the nitrite in half when you use half the brine mix.... It probably ain't enough to properly cure the meat to be safe from botulism......
To be safe, weigh the meat and liquid... add the weights together and add the correct amount of cure#1 to be safe.....

While it's True you have Half the amount of Cure... As above, You are also adding HALF THE AMOUNT OF MEAT, to each half gallon.👍 😊
4.64 pounds of pork in 1 Gallon or 2-2.32 pound pieces in 2- 1/2 Gallon buckets of Brine are Equal. And perfectly Safe. When i asked, Pops has said, " Just don't go crazy adding meat!"
I agree with Dave, adding the proper amount of Cure for the weight of meat and water is the most accurate method, but Sherry T's dividing in half is fine...JJ

While it's True you have Half the amount of Cure... As above, You are also adding HALF THE AMOUNT OF MEAT, to each half gallon.👍 😊
4.64 pounds of pork in 1 Gallon or 2-2.32 pound pieces in 2- 1/2 Gallon buckets of Brine are Equal. And perfectly Safe. When i asked, Pops has said, " Just don't go crazy adding meat!"
I agree with Dave, adding you proper amount of Cure for the weight of meat and water is the most accurate method, but Sherry T'so dividing in half is fine...JJ

I did split the meat in half as well (or darned close to it, anyway).

Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky