Honey Loin Ham for the family in Alberta

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I was going to visit my brother and his family in Alberta and wanted to take some cured meat. I did back bacon and buckboard bacon but they also like my Honey Loin Ham So I made one up.

Loin hams are not nicely marbled with fat like a butt or hock ham but they make a great deli style ham that slices up well for sandwiches. It also fries up nicely for breakfast if cut thick into steaks. The lower fat is better for you (or so She Who Must Be Obeyed says).

I started with about a 1kg (2 pound) piece of pork loin. You can trim it of excess fat or not per your tastes.

I measured the amount of water it took to cover the meat. Each litre of water weighs one kilogram. It took 6 litres to cover the meat so I had 6 kg of water. The total weight of the water and meat was 7 kg.

For the metrically challenged, that is 2.2 pounds of meat and 6.3 quarts of water. Each quart of water weighs 2 pounds. So there was 12.6 pounds of water. The total weight of water and meat is 14.8 pounds.

For each KG of water and meat I added the following to the water:

• 3 grams (2 ml) Prague Powder #1
  • 40 ml brown sugar
  • 40 ml honey
  • 15 ml kosher salt
So I added 21 grams of Prague Powder (7X3), 120 ml of brown sugar, etc.

If you are working in US measures, for each pound of water and meat I added the following to the water:

• 0.048 ounce (1/5 tsp) Prague Powder #1
  • 1 1/4 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 1/4 tablespoon honey
  • 1 1/3 teaspoon kosher salt
So you would add 0.696 ounces of Prague Powder (0.048X14.8), 18 1/2 tsps (about 1/3 cup) brown sugar, etc.

I stirred the ingredients until all were dissolved.

SMF Honey Ham.jpg

For each 1 kg (2 pounds) of meat, I put 50 ml (1/4 cup) of the brine in a container and added 25 ml (2 tablespoons) of honey for each 1 kg (2 pounds) of meat. I stirred to dissolve. I injected that every inch or so into the loin.

SMF Honey Ham 1.jpg

I put the loin and any liquid that came out while injecting into my curing vessel and weighted the loin down with a plate.

SMF Honey Ham 2.jpg

I let the ham cure in the brine for 12 days. I took it out and rinsed it well then dried it with paper towels.

SMF Honey Ham 3.jpg

I like to tie my loin every inch or so to get a rounder shape for the ham.

SMF Honey Ham 4.jpg

I put the ham on a rack in the fridge overnight to dry the surface (get pellicle).

I fired up my A-Maze-N Tube smoker with apple pellets and smoked the ham on my pellet smoker at 200 F to an internal temperature of 150 F.

SMF Honey Ham 5.jpg
SMF Honey Ham 6.jpg

I let the ham sit in the fridge for a couple of days to mellow and then cut it in two and vacuum sealed the halves for the trip loaded in a cooler. Some how a couple of slices fell off and I had to eat them before packing.

SMF Honey Ham 7.jpg

The Verdict

This is one of my favourite sliced sandwich meat for ham and cheese and other deli style sandwiches.

Disco

Disco , that looks fantastic . The loin that has the light and dark meat , that's a winner . I put mine in roll netting , but thinkin I like your tie method .
Great job ( No surprise there )

Looks great Disco, I bet it tasted even better.

Point for sure.

Chris

Looks delicious as always Disco!
Nice work!
I bet your going to have some awesome ham sandwiches.
I'm thinking grilled ham & Swiss.
Al

Haven't thought about mixing in honey with my brine, will have try that next time! Looks fantastic, I'm sure your family will enjoy it!
Thanks so much! I really like a touch of honey in my ham!

Disco , that looks fantastic . The loin that has the light and dark meat , that's a winner . I put mine in roll netting , but thinkin I like your tie method .
Great job ( No surprise there )
Thanks! I haven't tried netting but keep meaning to.

Looks delicious as always Disco!
Nice work!
I bet your going to have some awesome ham sandwiches.
I'm thinking grilled ham & Swiss.
Al
Thanks, Al! I am glad to find someone else who knows that Swiss is better on ham and cheese than cheddar!

Looks real good Disco. That's the type of ham I like for sammies--you never get a mouthful of fat from a trimmed loin.
I'm going to give this a try. Thanks.
POINT
Gary
I have to admit, I like more fat in my ham, Gary. At least I thought I did until She Who Must Be Obeyed informed me I wasn't.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky