Quick Q veiw

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by spec, Dec 4, 2010.

1. spec

spec Meat Mopper

I don't know if this is the right place to put this

But here goes

I make and sell about 500 pounds of jerky per yer...Soon to hopefully be over a thousand for 2011

New Kitchen and a Bar & grill as a sales starting point

A couple of weeks ago I had a huge set of orders...Over 50# of Jerky and stix

I'm Making a batch of Rosemary's baby jerky today,as a special favor to my logo designer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. spec

spec Meat Mopper

Each of those bags in the bottom picture is 1 pound, Here's a couple of pix of the Rosemary's baby mix

As soon as I find my camera

3. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks real good Spec!

Thanks for showing,

Bear

4. spec

spec Meat Mopper

Found it[​IMG]

Here's the Rosemary 1 st  step marinade, next will be the spice wash[​IMG][​IMG]

5. spec

spec Meat Mopper

I'm almost ready to grind the peppers for the spice wash, I always grind my peppers fresh for Rosemary's baby and  B.B.H.O Jerky

The spice wash consists ot fresh ground dehydrated peppers and some of my rosemary's baby Bloody mary mix...More when It's ready

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. spec

spec Meat Mopper

Thanks Bear

I was looking over some of you recipes and I'll have to try some[​IMG]

I've been working on some beef stix  mixes, Your right on the non cased and better smoke flavor

7. spec

spec Meat Mopper

heres a couple of pix, before and after the wash

The wash  is straight rosemay's baby Bloody Mary mix with added fresh ground peppers and celeryseed, spashed over the strips

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. nakom

nakom Fire Starter

looks good, I cant imagine making 1000lbs of jerky and not eating it all myself!  lol

9. marknb

marknb Meat Mopper

Hi Spec, nice looking meat stix too!  Is that a smoker or a dehydrator you're loading them into? Are the walls of the unit glass or metal ( I think metal, but from the pic I can't be sure)? Nice # of racks in that thing at any rate.

10. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Now there's some good looking jerkey and snack sticks and I know.

11. spec

spec Meat Mopper

Thanks,

It's my dehydrator, I smoke in a seperate unit,

The walls are stinless steel,

Ya it has some serious capacity...More than I care to cut and marinade in a day[​IMG]

I forgot to finish the Q-veiw[​IMG]
    Jerky warm out of the dehydrator,

I equalize the temp and humidity over night in 4 mill bags, just folded over then they go into the sealer

12. spec

spec Meat Mopper

13. spec

spec Meat Mopper

Thanks Mark

Here it is going into the sealer

Before and after[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. spec

spec Meat Mopper

I can see where the wall may throw ya for a loop, it has lights in the back wall, so you can see the progress, but they are actually fairly usless when it full

15. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Thanks for the post and pictures

The jerky and sticks look perfect.

I may put the tasso experiment on the back burner and get some jerky in the dehydrator.

What do you use to make the sticks? Not looking for your secret recipe, just how you stuff.

Have a great day!

Craig

16. spec

spec Meat Mopper

I use a Nesco meat grinder with the smallest cutter plate, and a modified sausage stuffer tube, to stuff the collogen casings,

I leave the casings on Some of my customers like the case...and some don't,

I used to peel the casings for the customers that don't like it...But with the increase in order's I don't have the time to anymore

After I get settled in the new Kitchen I'll post more pix of my set-ups for all this stuff...

The new Kitchen is getting set up for strictly Meat foods preparation with the dehydrator/slicer/vac/grinder's, Attached to my regular Bar kitchen...Pretty sweet set up, And good for the Bar&grill business as well[​IMG]

17. ak1

ak1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That looks good.

My son would probably eat that whole load in one sitting[​IMG]

18. spec

spec Meat Mopper

I should prolly clarify that statement,

I mix up my spices in a 5 gallon NSF food grade bucket with a lid...Mix in my meats roll it around for a while to get a good mixing then I toss the bucket in the cooler overnight, Then grind right into the casings

I have a stuffer but don't use it, I skip the stuffer step for 2 reasons 1 It saves time

2 I feel it's prolly alittle safer due to no air contact with the fresh ground stuff

Now keep in mind the possibility of flaver betwenn stix is there if you aren't super careful when mixing it all together

I'll get some pix when my new Meat only Kitchen is finished...It's attached to my Bar&grill kitchen

19. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Thanks spec. I appreciate the extra effort on your part.

Very interesting. I can see why you grind right into the casing.

20. spec

spec Meat Mopper

No problem,

Just glad I could help...IF it did