Quick pastrami question, what temp when it is done?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kilohertz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 29, 2022
Vernon, BC Canada
I’m smoking my first ever pastrami tonight which is just a very thin brisket flat no more than an inch and a quarter, and only about 2 pounds. I put it on 4 hours ago and wrapped it in foil at 170, it’s now 190° just wondering when I should take it off, at what temperature? Should I take it to 205° like I would normally a brisket? Or should it come off sooner being a cured product?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks!

I pulled it at 205*, it's resting right now...I'll try it in an hour or so....another late dinner. Ha.

Next time I'll choose a larger piece, this was the flat from a small brisket from my neighbors cow he processed this spring.

cheers

Reactions: JC in GB
It turned out just fine, moist, tender, I'm not a pastrami guru so no idea if this is correct but it tasted good with some cream cheese on rice crackers, dill pickle and cab sav.

Thanks all.

cheers

IMG_5360.jpeg

Looks great from here also.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks like you nailed it! Why am I thinking about a Reuben?!:emoji_wink:
That was my first thought as well Steve. A nice grilled Reuban ummmmm

Thanks guys,

It was very good. I chilled it then sliced the rest on my meat slicer. Have a fresh sour dough loaf for sandwiches today.

Next one I'll try the more traditional way, this was very thin and I had already seasoned thinking I was going to grill it then someone suggested Pastrami so I made up the cure and left it for 10 days. Turned out nice but as it's my first, I don't have anything to compare to.

I'm learning, thanks to all here for the help.

Cheers

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky