Quick, No-Cook, 2-Ingredient Hot Sauce-New Favorite

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I find it at Walmart ( at least in the ones in a more ethnic areas)...
At the expense of a slight detour to the sauce topic (Sorry Ray) my Walmart used to have a Habanero/Mango ice cream that was to die to. Got two "gallons" and then they quit carrying it. But you know I may need to try another part of town...the ethnic "flavor" of a community is probably appreciated by any business-minded retailer. And walmart knows a bit about retail.

Back on track...
Necessity is the mother of invention...wife's been after me to use up a 24oz can of green enchilada sauce in the pantry. And we always have black beans so I thought I'd make a slight mod. Alas, no black beans. So I blended up that green sauce with a can of Navy beans. Not spicy enough so I added a half tsp of cayenne pepper to the blender and gave it another spin. Too runny (the enchilada sauce was like water) but the spun up beans really gives a good base to stuff like this. Maybe all cooks know this trick but it was real esoterica to me--thanks Ray! Up to now I only had flour or bread crumbs to thicken up something that had gotten too runny.
Pepper in coffee has changed my life for the better too, My Friend.
Boiled some potatoes tonight, diced them small in a bowl, and then added the sauce. Smashed it all together with a fork. Not unlike potatoes and gravy, just a different taste profile. With some wine and cheese it was a fine meal and it won't kill me to lay off the red meat for a meal now and then.

Reactions: noboundaries
Back on track...
Necessity is the mother of invention...wife's been after me to use up a 24oz can of green enchilada sauce in the pantry. And we always have black beans so I thought I'd make a slight mod. Alas, no black beans. So I blended up that green sauce with a can of Navy beans. Not spicy enough so I added a half tsp of cayenne pepper to the blender and gave it another spin. Too runny (the enchilada sauce was like water) but the spun up beans really gives a good base to stuff like this. Maybe all cooks know this trick but it was real esoterica to me--thanks Ray! Up to now I only had flour or bread crumbs to thicken up something that had gotten too runny.
Pepper in coffee has changed my life for the better too, My Friend.
Boiled some potatoes tonight, diced them small in a bowl, and then added the sauce. Smashed it all together with a fork. Not unlike potatoes and gravy, just a different taste profile. With some wine and cheese it was a fine meal and it won't kill me to lay off the red meat for a meal now and then.

Thanks for the fun read, Bill.

I blend black beans as a secret ingredient to thicken chili. Keeps the "no beans in chili" folks scratching their heads.

And glad you still black pepper your coffee. It's always fun to come up with new ideas.

Reactions: bill1
Thanks for the fun read, Bill.

I blend black beans as a secret ingredient to thicken chili. Keeps the "no beans in chili" folks scratching their heads.

And glad you still black pepper your coffee. It's always fun to come up with new ideas.
Black pepper in coffee? I have heard of cayenne in coffee...interesting.

Here you go, Cliff. Another of my experiments.

Here you go, Cliff. Another of my experiments.
might have to sneak that in when the wife is not looking...lol we put cinnamon in every morning supposed to help with diabetes.

I am not easily impressed but I am with this. GREAT starting point. This is my first take on a version for ground beef seasoning for tacos. Also added some cumin and a tad of salt. Overnight rest sure did take the edge off, thanks for that info. Will report back when I run them should be tomorrow.

20220606_070244_resized.jpg

Latest version. My 4th batch. Took a few days away after I finished the last batch, but started craving it again. My latest version is more complex with a nice balance of savory and minimally sweet. No one flavor is identifiable or dominate. And no longer a two ingredient sauce, but just as easy.

Latest Version
19.75 oz can La Costena Black Beans
7 oz can LA Costena Chipotles in Adobo
¾ cup golden raisins
⅓ cup distilled vinegar
⅓ cup cocoa powder
1 Tbs cumin
1 Tbs chili powder

Directions
Place Ingredients in a blender, including liquid. Blend until smooth. Repeat blender cycle and increase speed if not completely smooth.

My wife is not a hot sauce fan. She put a strip of the latest version on her flour tortilla this morning, then loaded it with the fried potato-egg-onion scramble I made. She took one bite and said, "Oh, man! That adds SOOO much flavor!"

I didn't argue with her.

Reactions: bill1 and gmc2003
So Ray, for my 2nd batch I actually followed your recipe. But I'm thinking the black beans give a little too heavy a character to it. My "mistake" of using Navy beans in post #42 maybe wasnt so bad.
Might try pintos next time...
Also the black beans leave little flakes of bean skin, no matter how much I blend it. The Navy beans blended perfectly smooth. Just a cosmetic thing.

Mine with the Bush's black beans came out a little gritty. Maybe I didn't blend them long enough.
Next time I'll try it with Black Bean Re-fried beans and blend longer.

Mine with the Bush's black beans came out a little gritty. Maybe I didn't blend them long enough.
Next time I'll try it with Black Bean Re-fried beans and blend longer.
The black soy beans blended smooth ( I used an immersion blender) but it was thick and needed vinegar to thin it out.

I'm so glad folks are experimenting with this. I have a Blentec 3hp blender that eliminated the black bean flakes with a couple of blending cycles. The recipe that included raisins also needed more than one cycle.

The raisins weren't noticeable for a couple days after blending, then they became more obvious. My wife loved it.

After 6 batches, I decided to give myself a break, but these latest posts are (Godfather voice here) pulling me back in.

Gonna make a Chipotle aioli this morning that only uses two peppers. Then might as well make another batch since the Chipotle can is open.

Gotta' confess...I forgot the raisins. Thought I was following the recipe, but from memory, mistakes happen. But I can attest (and I think others have said similarly) that even without raisins the flavors definitely changed (mellowed/smoothed out) after a day or two of stewing...and that was in the 'fridge. So my last post about the black beans being a little too heavy...I might have posted too hastily.
The other thing I find interesting is how the character changes when you subsequently heat it up in an oven. Quite different than when using as a cold dipping (or pouring) sauce. Nothing at all like the difference hot v. cold you get with commercial BBQ sauces etc.
A 3hp blender sounds pretty impressive. I bet it sounds impressive too.

A 3hp blender sounds pretty impressive. I bet it sounds impressive too.
Hey, Bill. Great observations on how the recipe matures in the fridge, and how heat activates new flavors. You nailed it.

And, yeah, the Blendtec power is impressive. I made a 32 oz batch of all-natural crunchy peanut butter yesterday and forgot I needed to wear ear protection. I usually just insert earbuds to cut the noise. Peanut butter, or any nut butter, results in the worst noise it makes. I may have a decibel app on my phone. Will have to remember it the next time I fire up the Blendtec.

The batch of hot sauce I made a couple of days ago was smooth as silk when I used it on my egg-sausage scramble this morning. It took two 51-second programmed cycles to get it that smooth.

I got my rib sauce a little too thin last night (bourbon and fruit juice can do that to you) but a little of this bean sauce got it right back where I wanted it. This concept of blended beans as an all-purpose thickening agent with significant food/caloric/flavor value has a lot going for it. I would have used cornstarch or flour a year ago. Ray, this thread has changed my life!

Bill, buddy. We got takeout from Chipotle tonight. My wife saw me prep it to eat when we got home and said, Ah, your special life changing sauce." Then she cracked up laughing.

There will be no end to this. You've named it, my friend.

20220710_190007.jpg

Reactions: clifish
Don't get too big a head Ray. Heroin is life-changing too. :emoji_laughing:
Seriously the Chipotle run looks good. The one by me always has fresh ingredients and never disappoints. And their website ordering is top-notch. Each topping/ingredient can be adjusted extra or light...and they tend to follow the instructions. Then I drive there and pick it up hot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky