Questions to Ask Dr. BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KevinG_StPete

Original poster
Jan 21, 2019
Hello SMF!

I am interviewing Ray Lampe, "Dr. BBQ" tomorrow (Jan 22) in the morning east coast time here in St. Petersburg FL for my local foodies podcast.

(I don't want to put links in my first post and seem like a spammer, but if you search my city name and foodies, you should be able to find it if you want.)

I thought this community might be a good place to ask for a few good questions that might be more on the expert side - or bbq geeky - or if there are any questions that are long-debated topics in the bbq community.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello SMF!

I am interviewing Ray Lampe, "Dr. BBQ" tomorrow (Jan 22) in the morning east coast time here in St. Petersburg FL for my local foodies podcast.

(I don't want to put links in my first post and seem like a spammer, but if you search my city name and foodies, you should be able to find it if you want.)

I thought this community might be a good place to ask for a few good questions that might be more on the expert side - or bbq geeky - or if there are any questions that are long-debated topics in the bbq community.

Thanks in advance for your help!
I don’t know if they are long debated topics, but the following come to mind:
1. Fat up or down when smoking a brisket.

2. Meat goes on the smoker cold or at room temp.

3. Best smoker is a.......

4. Wrap or no wrap on a brisket or butt.

I don’t know if they are long debated topics, but the following come to mind:
1. Fat up or down when smoking a brisket.

2. Meat goes on the smoker cold or at room temp.

3. Best smoker is a.......

4. Wrap or no wrap on a brisket or butt.

Thanks!

I would honestly like to know his advice on the difference of smoke penetration (or amount of flavor imparted) between burning wood splits in a stick burner and smoking with pellets in a pellet smoker.

Also, does he have advice for using uncommon species of woods for those of us trying to find local woods and don't live around oak, hickory, mesquite, etc? For instance, western Montana (or the Pacific Northwest in general).

What is the best type smoker propane, electric, charcoal, stick burner, pellet grill, and why?

Why do competitions take the art of low and slow cooking and try to speed it up to a few hours so that it can't truly be smoked low and slow?

Why is smoking whole hogs the latest fad when we typically smoke the different cuts/parts of hogs to different finishing temperatures?

Does he foil or no foil, wrap or no wrap? why?

Reactions: Hawging It
Thanks guys. I have enough for now for the time we have.

The episode will air on Feb 19, 2019 on the St. Petersburg Foodies Podcast.

You can find it on our website (just Google St. Petersburg Foodies).

Also, find us on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, and Tune-in.

As well as Apple HomePod, Amazon Echo, and Google Home.

I think the others touched on it but I would ask:
1. How much smoke penetration do certain meats accept? (1/16 inch? more?) Does brisket get deeper penetration than loin?
2. Which accepts more smoke? Cold meat? Room temp meat? Or warmed up?
3. Do different woods penetrate at different rates?

Well, he either is he or ain't.

But aren't we all a little guilty of self-promotion on this site? Sure we do it in the interest of sharing ideas and encouraging learning. Even if he is promoting, could it be that his podcast is geared towards the same intentions?

If a guy takes one thread to promote his podcast, so be it. Let him, I say. It ain't like he's pulling the bark off of my brisket.

If it becomes a habitual nuisance, that's a whole 'nuther matter.

Well, he either is he or ain't.

But aren't we all a little guilty of self-promotion on this site? Sure we do it in the interest of sharing ideas and encouraging learning. Even if he is promoting, could it be that his podcast is geared towards the same intentions?

If a guy takes one thread to promote his podcast, so be it. Let him, I say. It ain't like he's pulling the bark off of my brisket.

If it becomes a habitual nuisance, that's a whole 'nuther matter.
Well said.

Reactions: Tex1911
Wow, just wow... I'm sorry for the one comment against you.
KevinG_StPete KevinG_StPete

If our Staff/Admin member didn't shut you down then I'd say you're copacetic.
And pineywoods pineywoods didn't shut you down, instead he gave you some great discussion topics.

I think you came here to research some questions pertinent to avid BBQ'ers, and then were rudely jumped upon.

My apologies.

Last edited:
Reactions: motocrash
Thanks guys. I have enough for now for the time we have.

The episode will air on Feb 19, 2019 on the St. Petersburg Foodies Podcast.

You can find it on our website (just Google St. Petersburg Foodies).

Also, find us on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, and Tune-in.

As well as Apple HomePod, Amazon Echo, and Google Home.

Thanks for the info. Would be interesting to hear the answer to the questions.

Opinions of some are not opinions of all.
If knowledge can be gained I’m in.

Kevin_G I'm sorry if this post went where it shouldn't have. For those that have attacked the man or questioned his post I would stop the attacks. How would you know why he came here and posted for sure?
I took it more as he is doing this interview and is not an expert in Smoking and came here to try to get some questions to ask so he is on topic. The interview is probably not all that long so I'm sure he's limited on the number of questions he can ask
If you have nothing constructive to add then don't post because the attacks won't be tolerated. The Mods and Admins determine what is or isn't spam if you think something is spam you can flag it and we will deal with it one way or another.

I have one question: Who is Ray Lampe "Dr BBQ"? Sorry I've never heard of him and would like to know about his background/qualifications?

Chris

I have one question: Who is Ray Lampe "Dr BBQ"? Sorry I've never heard of him and would like to know about his background/qualifications?

Chris
Ray-Lampe_Action-Shot_2-1280x640.jpg

Chris

Chris I didn't know who it was either until I googled it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky