1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Question on Stand Mixers

Discussion in 'Slicers, Grinders, Tools, Equipment' started by mrad, Sep 20, 2018.

1. mrad

mrad Meat Mopper

First off, sorry if this is the wrong forum.
    I am looking for a stand mixer but don't really want to spend $280 or more for a kitchen aid.

Are any of the less expensive brands reliable? I found this one on ebay with a 2 year warranty

2. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I can't help you except to say, we killed two inexpensive mixers.
    Then we bought our kitchenAid and it's bullet proof.
    Ya get what ya pay for and caveat emptor.

3. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

We have the KA stand and use it now and then but the KA hand held is the goto. Seriously, hand held mixers have come a real long way since our parent's day. I am man enough to admit the KA stand mixer is mostly decor. We even spent big money for the glass bowl.

4. gmc2003

gmc2003 Master of the Pit

Check Craigs List or yard/moving sales. You can probably find a KA pretty easy.

Chris

5. +1 on the KitchenAid mixer. It really is worth the money even if all the accessories and attachments are horrendously overpriced.

But the Craigslist in yard sale thing is good advice. The good thing about the KitchenAid is that tons of people have them so you can probably find them in the accessories on the second hand Market pretty cheap

6. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

We have had a KA for 40 years & it's still going strong, and we use it a lot!
    Al

7. Holly2015

Holly2015 Smoking Fanatic

One day in Walmart walking through the kitchen section a brand X stand mixer caught my eye. It looked good and then I touched it an it was all plastic and weighed about 3lbs. I can imagine it being able to get through 1 double batch of pizza dough without incident. It was a lightweight waste of money IMHO.

We have a KA mixer and like other have stated it can take decades of abuse and keeps working.

8. mrad

mrad Meat Mopper

Thanks for the advice on using craigslist. found several in $100 to $175 range including one about two mile from me.

Next question: Are all kitchen aid mixers high quality, or do they make lower end units to match price points with the off brands?

9. oldsmokerdude

oldsmokerdude Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

All Kitchen Aid mixers are the same high quality, but they do make models with smaller motors and capacity that are usually sold in discount stores. For example, they make a 5 QT mixer with a 325 watt motor but also make a 5 QT mixer with a 250 watt motor. Like everything else, you get what you pay for.

As others have mentioned, CL or similar is probably the place to go if you want to spend less than what a new one costs.

10. Xendau

Xendau Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

I couldnt live with out my KA 600... The amount of bread I make alone would have other mixers replaced many times over. This was a gift to me in 2009... It is 9 years old and I have never had one problem and use it AT LEAST once a week.

KA 2.jpg

KA 1.jpg

11. Danno44

Danno44 Fire Starter

I have the KA Professional HD 10 speed 475 Watts, bowl lift. Probably have had for 6-7 years now. The thing is a beast and will likely outlast me.

12. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

13. Xendau

Sounds like you have the Professional 600 like myself... I like that one far better than the Artisan tilt head. Though both are great.

I used to be a sous chef for a Kitchen Aid "Experience" shop in Atlanta. We used to bring high end retail sales people there and demo Kitchen Aid family of appliances. That is where I got hooked on KA mixers.

14. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

My wife is hard to convince, but she finally got to see the Daughter in Washington making stuff with her Kitchenaid.
    When we got home, we went to a store called Bed, Bath, and Beyond and got her the 6 quart, bowl raiser model.
    It is the Professional 600. And she got the bowl scraper beater for it.
    She doesn't use it often, but it sure can mix up a bunch of Christmas Cookies.
    A very serious, lifetime mixer.

My Daughter has had 3, I think she said. Anyway, she convinced the wife to get the Pro 600.
    With 5 kids, She's used her KA's a lot. Probably more than most would. When she gets a newer model, she gives the outgoing to one of her adult kids.

I see on Amazon, they have Factory Refurbished units for ~$100 off. Better than New, most "Factory Refurbished" are returns that have gone through a battery of tests, and have any used parts replaced with new.
    Personally, I find factory refurbed is usually even better. It's been fully tested. And carries a full warranty.

I always like tools that are more heavy duty. You don't always need that extra capability. But having it when you do is priceless.

And if you own one of these, you tend to use it more because it does the work for you.

15. Xendau

16. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Get the KA . No regrets at all. I have a 5qt 20 year old Artisan, the only issue, after it warms up the speed jumps from 1 to 2 on its own. We bought my daughter a Pro 600, 5 years ago, when she graduated from the CIA. REALLY nice and worth every penny. I have been saving my money for an 8qt pro model as the the 5qt is just too small for the bread dough batches I make...JJ

17. mrad

mrad Meat Mopper

would that be the same as this one on amazon? It's $329 in gray

they also have it refurbished for $215

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  18. Xendau

That's the one... good find @ $215. Even new @ $329. Just giving payment options if you didnt want to kick down all at once

19. mrad

mrad Meat Mopper

My only concern after reading some of the reviews and questions on amazon is the durability when mixing dough. One customer said "great mixer, just expect to replace the if mixing a lot of dough" . He said his wifes sent out and when they called kitchen aid, he was told not to mix dough longer than 4 minutes. He said he asked if that meant 4 minutes per hour, per half day or day. He said they would not answer the questions. He said the gears were $50-60 and fairly easy to replace.

Is mixing dough that hard on these machines?

20. Danno44

Danno44 Fire Starter

Majority of what I use mine for is bread. I mix up enough for 2-4 loaves at a time. Running as long as needed to incorporate the ingredients, typically 8-10 minutes on medium setting. I haven’t experienced any issues.