Question on Pork Belly. 1st time makin bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fleetside

Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
So. California
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and its a GREAT one!! This is my 1st attempt at making bacon.

My question is:

I am trying to cure 2 pork belly's( about 3-1/2 lbs each) for bacon and am using "Hi mountain's Buckboard Bacon Cure". I rubbed the belly's with the cure as they instructed, although I am noticing that there really isn't much water coming off of it. I have it in a glass backing pan, covered with plastic wrap and am flipping everyday at almost the exact time I prepped them. What am I doing wrong? Isn't there supposed to be more water coming out of these? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

That's really not out of line, pork bellies have their own personality. Some will give off a lot of juices, some might just give off a teaspoon. So long as you got the cure rubbed in good follow the timeline and they'll be just fine.

I smoked that bacon after 7 days and it was FABULOUS!!!
Wife said she would never buy bacon again. Thank you all for the great advise.
Smoking another 7 lbs right now as I type .. Hehehehe

Nice, I got a 11lb er gonna smoke on Sunday, I quartered it and put 2 chunks in Pops brine and 2 with buckboard bacon cure , gonna rain pepper on all 4 chunks and let the smoke begin, can't wait...

That looks amazing, I have gotta try making some bacon. I read somewhere there is a way to cut the homemade bacon so it does not shrink as much as store bought bacon. Is there any truth to this?

I did the same, prok bellies with this seasoning...did you cold smoke or hot smoke?  how long and temps?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky