Question about the Pit Barrel Cooker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Eric Williams

Original poster
Jul 16, 2018
I'm receiving this as a housewarming gift from my Dad. I plan on getting the hinged grate in the future, so I can smoked baked beans while I'm doing my ribs. Without the hinged grate, what would be the best way to achieve cooking both items? Would you throw the beans on first for a couple hours, then pull them off and hang the ribs until they are done, and then while the ribs are resting, put the beans back on to bring back to temp?
Thanks in advance!

Eric

--unless I did something crazy, like hang the slabs vertically along the top using multiple hooks, and have the grate also in there, to hold the beans... the ribs would be extremely close to the lid though, using that method.

I'm interested in getting a Pit Barrel Cooker myself. I'm doing some research but can't seem to find the answer to what the best way is to extinguish the coals once you are done cooking. I know the cooker will run upwards of 6 hours but I'm not sure what to do if I'm done cooking after 4. I know I can just leave it be and it will go out eventually, but I'm interested in your thoughts.

Thanks!

I'm interested in getting a Pit Barrel Cooker myself. I'm doing some research but can't seem to find the answer to what the best way is to extinguish the coals once you are done cooking. I know the cooker will run upwards of 6 hours but I'm not sure what to do if I'm done cooking after 4. I know I can just leave it be and it will go out eventually, but I'm interested in your thoughts.

Thanks!

I thought that was what a garden hose was for?

I have the pbc. For the beans and ribs i would say your first idea of alternating would be your best bet. Extinguishing the coals to save them, from what I've read on pit barrels site cannot be done so they suggest stuffing it with as much food as possible while the coals are still producing heat. I have read ideas on amazing ribs site of blocking all the holes with foil when your done. I personally just fill it with as much food as possible and after a while you will learn how many coals you will need for your cooks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky