Question about smoke house build idea

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maynard rowley

Original poster
Mar 28, 2016
First off: apologies if this is in the wrong forum.  Wasn't sure where to put it and thought this seemed like the most likely place.

I've been wanting to build a sausage smoker for quite a while but haven't started anything yet.  Just recently I came across an old bread proofer that I was able to snag for free.  The heat/humidity unit is shot but the rest of the proofer is there and looks like it'd make a good basis for a sausage smoker.  Below is a pic of the same model proofer (not mine but it's identical).

Now I'm trying to figure out how to supply heat.  I have a few ideas but haven't settled on anything yet.  I was just in my garage looking at an old natural gas furnace that I have and I started wondering if I could use some of the components for a smoker.  Has anyone done this/tried this?  Or is this a stupid idea?  I know I can definitely use the gas valve & pilot (I did this on a brewing system that I built a few years ago) but I'm not sure if the burner or any of the rest of it could be used.  Anyway a couple pics of the furnace below.

For smoke I was thinking I'd just use an a-maze-n pellet smoker.

Just looking for ideas/feedback.

That proofer will make a great sausage smoker.

That burner looks overkill for the size of the box. I'd go electric with a PID controller so you can set n forget and also so you can program the temps to ramp up every hour.

Agreed; all 4 furnace burners would be overkill. But I could modify it to be single or dual burner pretty easily. The PID is a great idea but I don't necessarily have to go electric to use one. My brew system uses PID's to control when the gas burners fire. Electric is definitely an option though.

Thanks for the input!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky