Question about sausage seasoning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Two I happen to have on hand
1704150400726.png

Me too, sorta. I bought the same grinder for myself during LEM's sale after Thanksgiving and bought the stuffer just before Christmas. Haven't ordered any casings yet, but soon...
I'm in the exact same place lol. I bought the grinder at the same sale and wife got me the stuffer for Christmas because I kept saying I should have ordered one. I'm still trying to decide where to get casings. Seems to be a lot of quality and packing differences from what I have read. Good luck! I'll get there but I know if will be a slow process for me.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
To start, I'm looking at bulk breakfast sausage. Both hot and mild...
I don't know if you happened across these threads

I don't know if you happened across these threads

I have read through both of those posts a couple of times as well as this recipe from Eric uncle eddie uncle eddie ...

Reactions: Fueling Around
What's the downside of using salt that contains that?
Some people are sensitive to it and the quantity used in sausage is a bit higher than for cooking.
I try to use straight ingredients and I keep the pickling and canning salt on hand anyway.
Do you have a beer homebrew supply store close? They'll have it
You beat me too that tip.

Doing a quick search locally, dextrose isn't available. Where do you or others get it?
Others beat me to it . I got mine at Friar Tuck's . Any of them that have home brewing supplies will have it . Most likely labeled as Corn sugar . Same thing .

Reactions: zwiller
What's the downside of using salt that contains that?
I use granulated sea salt non-iodized.
As far as dextrose, don’t beat yourself up about it. It is useful and works as described but not necessary. I rarely use sugar in fresh sausage, mainly in cured sausage if at all and only enough to balance the salt flavor. But sugar of any kind is not needed and rarely called for. That said dextrose is better than regular sugar.

For breakfast sausage I would suggest adding the dextrose , or some sugar . If you look through Len Poli's formulas sugar or dextrose is an ingredient in several of them . The ones that have natural sugars doesn't have it .
AC Leggs #10 breakfast seasoning has sugar listed . It's there to aid in browning .

Well Charles, are you confused yet? :emoji_blush:

Trust me, I was there once... start simple
I'm not an expert by any means... started with small batches of pop's breakfast sausage, with varying amounts of the ingredients until we found what we liked best. Got that dialed in.
To be honest since then two of the best recipes we have loved have been by accident and free.
We had ordered several sticks blend seasonings from Owen's BBQ, delayed by like 2 days since 1 was out of stock... they sent a package of their Dakota sausage for free because of the delay...wasn't necessary in my eyes but that mix for 25 lbs of sausage was the first one we ran out of!
2nd mix was given to us by a local restaurant supply store... they are great enablers! But was a Butcher and Packer sausage mix... even tie for #1.

Point is, start with one batch... mild or hot, find what you like... then move onto the next.

Ryan

Well Charles, are you confused yet? :emoji_blush:

Trust me, I was there once... start simple
I'm not an expert by any means... started with small batches of pop's breakfast sausage, with varying amounts of the ingredients until we found what we liked best. Got that dialed in.
To be honest since then two of the best recipes we have loved have been by accident and free.
We had ordered several sticks blend seasonings from Owen's BBQ, delayed by like 2 days since 1 was out of stock... they sent a package of their Dakota sausage for free because of the delay...wasn't necessary in my eyes but that mix for 25 lbs of sausage was the first one we ran out of!
2nd mix was given to us by a local restaurant supply store... they are great enablers! But was a Butcher and Packer sausage mix... even tie for #1.

Point is, start with one batch... mild or hot, find what you like... then move onto the next.

Ryan
Yup, agree Ryan. Start with a simple recipe and dial it in, then add one different ingredient try that, cut it or move on to add another. In all my years I still find the simple recipes the best. When I see a recipe list as long as my leg I just simply scroll by. I do some commercial mixes and lots of them are very good, but I still prefer mixing my own.

Got up this morning and cut up a 9 lb. butt for sausage, portioned out 2 1000g portions with the rest for later. Going to do a regular and a hot. Started weighing out seasonings only to discover my scales only weigh in whole grams, not tenths of grams, so off to wally world in a little while to get one that does. Probably in the long run I could get close enough, but the OCD side of me says no. Besides, when I worked, close was not good enough in my job. It's always something...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky