QUESTION ABOUT MY 9 LB BUTT...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

quityerbitchin

Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
I am planning a Superbowl smoke of a 9 lb butt... My concerns are.  I will not have enough time on that Sunday to do the whole thing (get it to 200 by game time) So I was wondering if this might work... Do it the day before as recommended (foil @ 165 take out @ 200).  Then throw it right in the fridge.  Then on the day of, take it out, throw it in the oven until it is @ 165 ish, pull it rest it, and shred it right before guests arrive... Has anyone ever tried this, are there pitfalls I am not thinking of?

I have done the day before thing, but what i did was the complete job the day before. Smoke it to 165, foil it till 200, wrap it in a towel and put in a cooler for a hour, then pull it. Then stick it in the fridge over night for the party. Then stick it in the oven, covered to keep the moistness in. You could even spritz it some with leftover spritz (if you do the spritz thing while cooking) before it goes in the oven. I even warm mine up in the oven a couple days after the initial cook for leftovers, still good.

You should be fine. Or just get up super early and get that thing going on super bowl sunday!

I do butts the day before all the time but as xj suggested I pull it and everything the day you are cooking it. Pulled pork reheats very well and tastes great the next day so there is no reason not to pull it that day. The problem that most people have when they chill the butt hole then reheat it the next day to pull is it wants to dry out. I would suggest pulling the butt out at around 200-205 then rest in the cooler for 1-2 hours. When you remove the butt to pull it save the juice that is in the foil to dump back over the butt for some extra flavor and moisture. You can also make a finishing sauce to server with or mix into the PP to add more moisture. I usually do both. But when your remove your drippings I put it in container then throw it in the freezer and let the fat settle to the top then I remove the fat and reheat the liquid and pour it back over the PP.

I agree with the above, pull it when you smoke it & reheat with xtra juices the next day. When you warm it up keep it covered to keep the moisture in.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky