Question about marking knives.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
All my years teaching Culinary and no one ever had a Knife Stolen because... I insisted that you and Only You should ever handle your knives. You take one out of your kit, use it, hand wash and return it to your kit. If I found a knife in the sink...It became, My new knife! If you still want to ID your knives, engraving works. Cheap way out? My Daughter wrapped a stripe of Green Electrical Tape around the handles. Lasted a long time hand washing.
NEVER PUT YOUR KNIVES IN A DISHWASHER!!!...JJ

As a last resort you could always take a sharpie and mark everyone elses knives with a unique identifier, and leave yours unmarked. Just remember you'll probably lose votes for being the "most popular student" at the end of the year. :emoji_wink::emoji_sunglasses:

Chris

Reactions: kawboy
Thanks for the ideas! I talked to a local shop that says he could engrave for about $10 a piece. He also brought up chemical etching, will look at that when I stop by after work, on my way to class. Yes, he is concerned about knives getting mixed up in the kitchen.

If the knife smith is good the etching will look really cool! good smiths can do initials and such or they can do the whole blade....

You said the "D" word with knifes so even though it was in jest you still get flak for saying it.....Even my wife and kids protect the knives from the DW at all costs.....But when my wife sees the look on my face when she cuts on the open Granite, she just says....I agree to all that knife making stuff in the garage just so I can cut on the stone and It's just sharpening practice for ya sweetie.....I just smile and utter NO words!

One's "initials"...3 letters for first, middle, and last name...is a pretty unique identifier. Even in a company of 1000 people, it's rare you'll find two people with the same initials.
But I agree you went with a classic and beautiful approach.

Reactions: kawboy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky