Question about making Smash Burgers on my Gravity 560

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigheaded

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Philippines
I ordered a Vollrath 2.5lb Steak Weight, I was about to order Grillgrates too. But I have a question tho, those or a Lodge reversible griddle top? I'm thinking with all the holes in a Grillgrate the Lodge might be better because the fat wouldn't drip out. Seems like the holes draining the fat would lead to a dryer buger. But I'm not basing that off anything other than how my mind works. Also with all the holes in the Grillgrates would trying to smash them super thin be a problem? Seems like meat might get smooshed into the holes.

Reactions: JLeonard
Yes the holes would be a problem. The Griddle below should fit nicely...JJ

Reactions: Bigheaded
You'll definitely want something to catch the grease run off from smash burgers. The gravity smokers are prone to grease fires.

Reactions: Bigheaded
JJ, I think that SMF, won’t let you post an Amazon link. Yours didn’t come thru, and I have tried a couple & they didn’t come thru either. I don’t know why they singled out Amazon, cause there are some incredible deals on there. But they will let other sites link up.
Al

JJ, I think that SMF, won’t let you post an Amazon link. Yours didn’t come thru, and I have tried a couple & they didn’t come thru either. I don’t know why they singled out Amazon, cause there are some incredible deals on there. But they will let other sites link up.
Al

Works fine from my end too...JJ

Yes the holes would be a problem. The Griddle below should fit nicely...JJ

WOW! Yes yes, looks perfect, I had found something like thst but it was cast iron and $150, which is too much for me right now. THANK YOU for the link!

Now one other question,LSMOD's sells a griddle shroud mod that slips on top of the stock one and redirects the heat directly on a griddle or pizza stone. What kind of difference would this make? My brain's telling me if the griddle top's 450f it's 450 regardless of direct or indirect heat. But obviously, things probably don't just work that simple.

A direct flame will make a Hot Spot. Maybe good for to sear one steak, but not a ton of real-estate there. The griddle may get too hot and other items, veg, rice may burn. Not to mention, heating with localized big time heat may Warp the griddle. Try as is. If not getting enough heat, the mod may be worth trying...JJ

A direct flame will make a Hot Spot. Maybe good for to sear one steak, but not a ton of real-estate there. The griddle may get too hot and other items, veg, rice may burn. Not to mention, heating with localized big time heat may Warp the griddle. Try as is. If not getting enough heat, the mod may be worth trying...JJ

Try as it is before I spend $100 on something I might not actually need? Huh, what a novel idea lol.

I also got a big spatula and 2 long skinny ones so I can pretend I'm a chef at Benihana's or make breakfast. And 5 other accessories I don't need, but hay. You at worst saved me from buying something before I need it. And probably it'll work just fine without it. I'm already $225 down the hole but I should be able to make a good Smash Burger now.

Well, I've made some awesome ones with a $30 cast iron griddle and $8 spatula from Smart & Final.

Last edited:
Reactions: chef jimmyj
You'll definitely want something to catch the grease run off from smash burgers. The gravity smokers are prone to grease fires.

Don''t know how I missed this, the flair-ups = extra char and added flavor. I'll try and keep the grease fires down as the last beer can chicken I did I had a flair up and my probe was reporting 750f and still climbing for about 2 minutes lol.

Amazon is out of stock on the griddle linked here, plus my inability to wait and reading an article from the legendary Malcom Reed sayingGrill Grates make the best Smash Burger on a grill. I ordered the triple Grill Grates. I expect some decent flair ups, but if they get out of control LSSMODS has a deflector thing that will greatly reduce them.

Don''t know how I missed this, the flair-ups = extra char and added flavor. I'll try and keep the grease fires down as the last beer can chicken I did I had a flair up and my probe was reporting 750f and still climbing for about 2 minutes lol.

Amazon is out of stock on the griddle linked here, plus my inability to wait and reading an article from the legendary Malcom Reed sayingGrill Grates make the best Smash Burger on a grill. I ordered the triple Grill Grates. I expect some decent flair ups, but if they get out of control LSSMODS has a deflector thing that will greatly reduce them.
I've had flare-up problems even just with regular burgers at like a 73/27 lean/fat mix (I also put a bit of EVOO in my patties, so some added oil). Some added flavor is good but full on grease fire is acrid smoke - not a good flavor!!

Got the steak weight today, this thing's absolutely insane. I didn't bother to check the dimensions because I knew it would be big. Size still surprised me as it's bigger than my hand, and weighs about 1/2 a lb less than the new Ninja 12" skillet I bought, which isn't particularly heavy at 3lbs. But for this to be almost as heavy's crazy to me. Gonna make Smash Burgers this weekend when my Grill Grates come. Would make a solid home defense weapon. Will take some pics of the burgers.

Don't have to use it to know it really isn't worth the $64 I paid, but I'm pretty sure it will smash my patties infinitely better and way thinner than my old method of pressing 1 spatula down on another.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky