• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Putting the mini through it's paces. Negative 51 windchill and running a spatchcock @ 350

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Joined Dec 31, 2012

First i got a hot fire going with RO lump charcoal

Prepped the bird and seasoned with a jerk all pupose rub

Got the mini up and running in about 20 minutes.  After a couple temp spikes (small fire) from having too much air open i settled it into 350* for the cook.   

Snow dogs...didn't want to go inside. 

bundled up for the cold smoke!

Pulled the bird @ 165

Incredibly juicy even though i forgot to inject like i planned.  The thighs just fell apart.  Oh my she was tasty.

The spot where she sat...nice and dry. lol

Thanks for lookin...now go start cookin (as Denis would say)

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Forgot to mention, 50° here no wind, thinking about putting on shorts!

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Stunning meal and a great way to embrace a cold day!

Disco

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Joined Dec 31, 2012

Forgot to mention, 50° here no wind, thinking about putting on shorts!
LOL, i could but i woudn't be out there too long.    Actually it's good if you have warm boots, mittens and a face mask.. lol    Gotta keep the extremities warm!

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Joined Dec 31, 2012
If someone ever says their WSM, UDS or mini can't get up to temp i call BS...ha ha     They all can do it....if you can do it. 

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012

Disco, hope your staying warm up there....been hearing about those cold quakes, crazy!
Actually, that is east of here in the prairies. Surprisingly, here in the mountains, it hasn't been that cold. We spent a week with highs one or two degrees above freezing and it is only minus 5 C (about 22 F) at the moment. Almost balmy! You guys are way colder at the moment.

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Joined Dec 31, 2012

Actually, that is east of here in the prairies. Surprisingly, here in the mountains, it hasn't been that cold. We spent a week with highs one or two degrees above freezing and it is only minus 5 C (about 22 F) at the moment. Almost balmy! You guys are way colder at the moment.
Dang Disco, that surprises me.  22 degrees is a cake walk... ha ha 

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
I would take 22 right now.

foamheart

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 4, 2013
You can always tell a man who enjoys his smoke!

It chilly here, I just closed the water valve to the barn and garden and drained what I forgot to get yesterday while it was warm. I have lived in much colder places than here, but ya dressed for it! AND the furnace was bigger and the fireplaces still worked..>>LOL

Bundle up guys!

woodcutter

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 2, 2012
Nice bird! We have the same weather here. Thank God for the remote probe thermometers!

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Joined Dec 31, 2012

Nice bird! We have the same weather here. Thank God for the remote probe thermometers!
LMAO,   i did have the Mav transmitter facing outward and the display froze....so i had to hang it on the inside of my reflectix sleeve so it had a little heat to stay unfrozen. haha   good stuff!

webowabo

Master of the Pit
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Very cool (and very cold) keith! I like the last pic of the melted snow/ice!
Stay warm brother!

humdinger

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 27, 2012
Nice job Keith, excellent skin....

Just did two cornish hens myself.(Though my propane smoker does make things a pinch easier.) This cold is no joke though. Kids got school off today (Monday) for snow and again tomorrow for the cold. Forecasted low for my area tonight is -12, (the record is -5.) Tomorrow it's only going to get up to around 2 degrees. Eesh!

WaterinHoleBrew

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 18, 2013
Nice job on the bird Keith, now nobody can question your dedication to your smokin'. That's dedicated, looks like you was headed ice fishing not smokin' a bird. Again looked very tasty. Justin

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Joined Dec 31, 2012
Very cool (and very cold) keith! I like the last pic of the melted snow/ice!
Stay warm brother!
Thanks Mikey...enjoy the chill y'all are getting!   It's gotta suck for you guys.  

Nice job Keith, excellent skin....

Just did two cornish hens myself.(Though my propane smoker does make things a pinch easier.) This cold is no joke though. Kids got school off today (Monday) for snow and again tomorrow for the cold. Forecasted low for my area tonight is -12, (the record is -5.) Tomorrow it's only going to get up to around 2 degrees. Eesh!
Nice job on the bird Keith, now nobody can question your dedication to your smokin'. That's dedicated, looks like you was headed ice fishing not smokin' a bird. Again looked very tasty. Justin
Thanks Justin!   Heck, i would have done some ice fishing...then Q'd em up!

woodcutter

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 2, 2012

LMAO,   i did have the Mav transmitter facing outward and the display froze....so i had to hang it on the inside of my reflectix sleeve so it had a little heat to stay unfrozen. haha   good stuff!
My display outside was weak and hard to read but inside the house it was working great.

fritzmonroe

Smoke Blower
Joined Nov 15, 2013
Oh yeah, and that's a good looking bird.

I think it's funny that the only melting happened directly under the smoker.  No melting at all to the side.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.