Pure Salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
One of the special tips my father left me was his simple marinade for Salmon which enhances but does not interfere with the fish's rich flavor. In a bowl add juice of 1 lime, 4 tbs olive oil, 2 tbs COLD soy sauce, ~1/2 tsp ground cloves and 2-3 tbs dill weed. Whisk vigorously. The cold soy helps to emulsify the marinade. Place salmon in a deep dish big enough to hold it flat and pour in the marinade. Let it sit bathing for an hour or so in the fridge then onto a soaked cedar plank & grilled. Pour a little of the marinade over it. Grill for 20-25 min. The meal always comes out perfect. Add a grilled veggie and another simple but great meal. Tonight it was par boiled (2m30s) asparagus grilled with some butter and lemon juice.

IMG_5011.jpg
IMG_5013.jpg

That salmon looks great! Nice color. We eat it quite a bit around here. Will bookmark to try out your marinade. Thanks for sharing.

That salmon looks great! Nice color. We eat it quite a bit around here. Will bookmark to try out your marinade. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! I'll bet the marinade finds a place in your salmon rotation. :emoji_wink:

Thanks! I'll bet the marinade finds a place in your salmon rotation. :emoji_wink:

I have no doubt. Might even give it a go this evening! No cedar planks though will have to get on that. My go to is to add a little seasoning, then a layer of horseradish, and finally a layer of pesto on top. Then grill it skin side down until it hits 130-135ish.

That looks fun, do you take the skin off of the salmon? How much is the cedar plank flavor comes through to the salmon?

I can't say the cedar adds that much but it serves well in keeping the filet from sticking to grates etc... When done its a simple toss without having to spend time scraping grates to remove fish. BTW I always leave the skin on.

That's a beautiful looking slab of fish right there Matt. Very well done sir!! You want some company next time you cook that?? :emoji_laughing:

Robert

You and Wife are always welcome Robert. If you ever get as far north as Indiana we love to have you for dinner!

Man that looks great Matt! We smoke lots but have never tried grilling it. I've got the planks and now a marinade recipe so gotta give this a go !

Keith

Great post!Super simple recipe too.

I'm gonna try that marinade on bluefish before I smoke it.

Awesome post! We haven’t done a plank salmon in forever, looks incredible! That’s an elevated summer meal for sure.

Man that looks great Matt! We smoke lots but have never tried grilling it. I've got the planks and now a marinade recipe so gotta give this a go !

Keith
Thanks Keith. We use it with Atlantic Salmon.
Looks pretty dang tasty! Very nice work!
Appreciate that civilsmoker civilsmoker
Great post!Super simple recipe too.

I'm gonna try that marinade on bluefish before I smoke it.
As I mentioned to Keith, we use it on Atlantic Salmon. Haven't experimented with other types but will be interested to hear how it works for you with Bluefish.
Awesome post! We haven’t done a plank salmon in forever, looks incredible! That’s an elevated summer meal for sure
Thanks Jed! Lately we're on a menu of simplified summer meals that take little effort buy yield great eats. The salmon is so easy and turns out so good!

Reactions: bauchjw
Looks great. Bet that recipe would work on our pacific Chinook salmon, which the wife and I catch. Need to see if I have any cedar planks hiding out in my shop.
Again, good job Matt.

I can't say the cedar adds that much but it serves well in keeping the filet from sticking to grates etc... When done its a simple toss without having to spend time scraping grates to remove fish. BTW I always leave the skin on.
Yes, when we cook salmon in the oven, we always leave the skin on. I was thinking of trying one of those teflon coated cooking mats to smoke the salmon on, and if the skin was removed, it could possibly take on smoke on all sides.

Just thinking.

That looks awesome! And I am going to try your marinade soon. Using up some of last years salmon we caught.
One question about the cedar planks, which I have. I was told to soak them for a bit before putting on the grill. Do the planks char and give off smoke or just get warm? Usually using a gas grill if that matters. Thanks!

Matt, the salmon looks awesome!! I think that marinade would work well with other fish and I'm going to try it, thanks for the recipe...

Looks great. Bet that recipe would work on our pacific Chinook salmon, which the wife and I catch. Need to see if I have any cedar planks hiding out in my shop.
Again, good job Matt.
Hey Craig, thanks! There is always the grocery solution, they usually carry the planks.
Yes, when we cook salmon in the oven, we always leave the skin on. I was thinking of trying one of those teflon coated cooking mats to smoke the salmon on, and if the skin was removed, it could possibly take on smoke on all sides.

Just thinking.
Probably worth a try. Can't say we really have an affinity for smoked salmon. I know many do. This recipe uses the cedar plank more as a vehicle to get the salmon cooked without a mess than to provide any significant smoke flavor. The grill time is only 20-25 minutes in the 400º range. Probably could add a smoke tube to the process since I usually go indirect but as mentioned, we personally aren't looking to add any significant smoke to the flavor profile of the salmon.

That looks awesome! And I am going to try your marinade soon. Using up some of last years salmon we caught.
One question about the cedar planks, which I have. I was told to soak them for a bit before putting on the grill. Do the planks char and give off smoke or just get warm? Usually using a gas grill if that matters. Thanks!
Yup same here, using a gas grill. We soak first. They do char and give off some smoke, but IMO not that much.

Matt, the salmon looks awesome!! I think that marinade would work well with other fish and I'm going to try it, thanks for the recipe...
You are welcome Charles. Hope you like the marinade, it's a staple ingredient around here when it's time to cook salmon.

Wow Matt, sorry I'm a few days late to the party. I don't suppose you have any left? That salmon looks fantastic.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky