Pulled pork tamales~Foamheart (again)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
To save band wide here are a couple of previous attempts at tamales.

Thought of taking today off but to much going on elsewise in the kitchen, Doh!! I wonder why?

When doing sausages and andouille, I try to smoke a little butt. The meat goes to either boudin or tamales. This time the tamales won out. The are pretty tastee.

IMG_1401.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

IMG_1408.JPG

I am so happy to say I didn't get carried away as usual. I only came out with 30 and after quality assurance testing (required) there is only 2 doz. left for the freezer. When I was out West (Tex/Mex & Cowboys/Vaqueros), this time of year all the Mexican families would come together, the men would cook goats (Cabrito) and all the grannies, moms, daughters and grand-daughters would get in the kitchen and seriously thousand's of tamales were roll out. The kids would be running wild and the gossip rolled wildly (and so did the beer out by the goats roasting). Can ya tell I sort of miss it. I was always impressed how open and friendly these folks were to welcome a lone lost coonazz into their home and treat me as family during the holidays. This is but a humble attempt to equal their amazing tamales. Oh and an FYI I would never attempt to match their speed making these.

In case I don't cook again before the holidays <Chuckles>, I hope you and yours all Have a safe and happy holiday.

You're Tamales look good and Smoked Pork Butt makes for some Good Tamales.
I do like Tamales, A LOT! They are a lot of work so we only have them a couple times a year. I'm a fan of Mississippi Delta Hot Tamales. Similar to the Mexican style but Simmered in a Spicy Pork Broth, rather than Steamed...JJ

Reactions: foamheart
To save band wide here are a couple of previous attempts at tamales.

Thought of taking today off but to much going on elsewise in the kitchen, Doh!! I wonder why?

When doing sausages and andouille, I try to smoke a little butt. The meat goes to either boudin or tamales. This time the tamales won out. The are pretty tastee.

View attachment 472219

View attachment 472220

View attachment 472221

I am so happy to say I didn't get carried away as usual. I only came out with 30 and after quality assurance testing (required) there is only 2 doz. left for the freezer. When I was out West (Tex/Mex & Cowboys/Vaqueros), this time of year all the Mexican families would come together, the men would cook goats (Cabrito) and all the grannies, moms, daughters and grand-daughters would get in the kitchen and seriously thousand's of tamales were roll out. The kids would be running wild and the gossip rolled wildly (and so did the beer out by the goats roasting). Can ya tell I sort of miss it. I was always impressed how open and friendly these folks were to welcome a lone lost coonazz into their home and treat me as family during the holidays. This is but a humble attempt to equal their amazing tamales. Oh and an FYI I would never attempt to match their speed making these.

In case I don't cook again before the holidays <Chuckles>, I hope you and yours all Have a safe and happy holiday.

It's a cool thing to experience a little friendly and amazing culture and keep it going alive in your own little way!
I'll be eating some Tamales for sure between now and the end of the year :)

You're Tamales look good and Smoked Pork Butt makes for some Good Tamales.
I do like Tamales, A LOT! They are a lot of work so we only have them a couple times a year. I'm a fan of Mississippi Delta Hot Tamales. Similar to the Mexican style but Simmered in a Spicy Pork Broth, rather than Steamed...JJ

Until I went to college I never had a tamale, and then they came out of a crock pot at the end of the bar. LOL a quarter a piece. Hey, a Miller draft was a quarter too!

Out west those tamales were amazing. My two most favorite of all the Tex/Mex foods were tamales and burritos. They do take some work to make, but when you give someone a good homemade tamale they appreciate it as much as homemade andouille or sausages.

It's a cool thing to experience a little friendly and amazing culture and keep it going alive in your own little way!
I'll be eating some Tamales for sure between now and the end of the year :)

Its just that time of year, its usually between Thanksgiving and Christmas that the tamale parties take place.

Reactions: tallbm
When I was a little boy in south Texas families would exchange tamales right before Christmas. My Granny and her two neighbors would build 50 dozen usually pork with red chiles. By the time the exchanging was over she would have beef, chicken, goat, and several kinds of dessert tamales.

When I was a little boy in south Texas families would exchange tamales right before Christmas. My Granny and her two neighbors would build 50 dozen usually pork with red chiles. By the time the exchanging was over she would have beef, chicken, goat, and several kinds of dessert tamales.

My favorite are the bean, peppers, and cheese (mozzarella) tamales my aunt makes. She grows her own variety of peppers and use them. She cooks them in with the refried beans and OMG the combo of beans, peppers, and mozzarella is INSANE!!! hahaha

Looks great Foamy I have never had a tamale. Does look like a lot of work.

Warren

I never had any good ones till I moved west. Well what about a 41 hour brisket or a 18 hour butt? I ate out and fast food too most of my growing up years. Even Whataburger isn't ass good as home made to me anymore.

I'll take 2 or 12 please

We used to send a driver from the shop to a little place in Pecos, Tx. 2 or 3 times a year. I actually had a phone tree for orders when we went. It wasn't unusual to bring back 100's to be picked up at the office. They also made great customer gifts. I mean anyone can bring ya a 3 or 4 boxes of doughnuts for your coffee room, but who brings 25/50 tamales in....LOL

nk you
My favorite are the bean, peppers, and cheese (mozzarella) tamales my aunt makes. She grows her own variety of peppers and use them. She cooks them in with the refried beans and OMG the combo of beans, peppers, and mozzarella is INSANE!!! hahaha

You are talking about my refries! Pintos, lard, peppers, salt, Queso Blanco !! Throw in a couple a tortillas, corn or flour and I could eat a whole skillet full.

Kevin, Those babies look delicious!

Thanks man, they actually fooled me, better than usual.

Yeppers, that's how I first saw them made. I was the token gringo, LOL Men don't go in the house while that's going on much. LOL

Never had a tamale before, but it's on the bucket list! Think it would be fun to do sometime when the kids come home. If I ever get around to it I hope they come out at least edible for the 1st try!

Ryan

Never had a tamale before, but it's on the bucket list! Think it would be fun to do sometime when the kids come home. If I ever get around to it I hope they come out at least edible for the 1st try!

Ryan

Now I must worn you. There are tons out there that are made where people say "these are really good ones" or "these are the best" and they suck hahaha.
So like with BBQ you really have to hunt around or just try a number of them from different people/places before you hit one that is like "WOW".

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky