Pulled Pork Stuffed Pablano Pepper

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jarjarchef

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 30, 2010
Central Florida
View media item 218831
Pulled Pork Stuffed Pablano Pepper

Grilled Pablano Pepper stuffed with

Pulled Pork  [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]finished with a Smoked Jalapeno Chimichurri Sauce Topped with Queso Chihuahua[/color]

Served with a Scratch Mole Poblano Sauce and Sweet Corn Pudding

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I had pictures of how to make a couple of these steps, however I had lightening strike near by and wipe 2 of my hard drives and my mother board of my PC. I will do my best to give clear directions. If you have any questions please feel free to either ask in the thread or PM me.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mole Sauce:[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]This was the whole reason I did this dish. I was talking with a friend and when mentioned what this Throwdown was the direction was set. We both were thinking Tex Mex or Mexican..... I have never made a true Mole from scratch before, so here was my chance. I did a search on-line for recipes and found one from Rick Bayless that sounded pretty good. Besides how can you go wrong with a Bayless Recipe to guide you. HERE is the link to his actual recipe I used for inspiration. What I have below is what I will do the next time I make a Mole. Yes, I copied and pasted his and made my adjustments......and Yes this is one I had pictures of......[/font]
[h3]Classic Red Mole[/h3]
Mole Rojo Clasico

Makes a generous 3/4 gallon of mole
[h4]INGREDIENTS[/h4]
10 ounces (5 medium) tomatillos, husked and rinsed
1 1/3 cup (about 6 1/2 ounces) sesame seeds
6 ounces (about 12 medium) dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and torn into large flat pieces
6 ounces (about 20 medium) dried pasilla chiles, stemmed, seeded and torn into large flat pieces
12 garlic cloves, peeled
1 cup (about 4 ounces) unskinned almonds
1 cup (about 4 ounces) raisins
1 teaspoon cinnamon, preferably freshly ground Mexican canela
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, preferably freshly ground
1/2 teaspoon anise, preferably freshly ground
1/4 teaspoon cloves, preferably freshly ground
2 ounces (about 2/3 of a 3.3-ounce tablet) Mexican chocolate, roughly chopped (the chocolate i used was the same as they use for Mexican Hot Chocolate)
3 quarts chicken broth
Salt
1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar

[h4]DIRECTIONS[/h4]
1.   Preliminaries.   On a rimmed baking sheet, roast the tomatillos 4 inches below a very hot broiler until splotchy black and thoroughly soft, about 5 minutes per side.  Scrape into a large bowl.  In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the sesame seeds, stirringly nearly constantly, until golden, about 5 minutes.  Scrape half of them in with the tomatillos.  Reserve the remainder for sprinkling on the chicken.

This is my biggest change I would do. I did not see any benefits to this step. I am open to experienced input, but a lot of work for little or no return in my book.
2.    Brown other mole ingredients.   Turn on an exhaust fan or open a kitchen door or window.  In a very large soup pot (I typically use a 12-quart stainless steel stock pot or a medium-large Mexican earthenware cazuela), heat the lard or oil over medium.  When quite hot, fry the chiles, three or four pieces at a time, flipping them nearly constantly with tongs until their interior side has changed to a lighter color, about 20 or 30 seconds total frying time.  Don’t toast them so darkly that they begin to smoke—that would make the mole bitter.  As they’re done, remove them to a large bowl, being careful to drain as much fat as possible back into the pot.  Cover the toasted chiles with hot tap water and let rehydrate 30 minutes, stirring frequently to insure even soaking.

Remove any stray chile seeds left in the fat.  With the pot still over medium heat, fry the garlic and almonds, stirring regularly, until browned (the garlic should be soft), about 5 minutes.  With a slotted spoon, remove to the tomatillo bowl, draining as much fat as possible back into the pot.

Add the raisins to the hot pot.  Stir for 20 or 30 seconds, until they’ve puffed and browned slightly.  Scoop them out, draining as much fat as possible back into the pot, and add to the tomatillos. Set the pan aside off the heat.

To the tomatillo mixture, add the cinnamon, black pepper, anise, cloves, bread and chocolate.  Add 2 cups water and stir to combine.

3.   Blend, strain, cook.   Into a large measuring cup, tip off the chiles’ soaking liquid. Taste the liquid:  if it’s not bitter, discard all abut 6 cups of the liquid. (if you’re short, add water to make up the shortfall).  If bitter, pour it out and measure 6 cups water.  Scoop half of the chiles into a blender jar, pour in half of the soaking liquid (or water) and blend to a smooth puree.  Press through a medium-mesh strainer into a large bowl; discard the bits of skin and seeds that don’t pass through the strainer.  Repeat with the remaining chiles.

Return the soup pot or cazuela to medium heat.  When quite hot, pour in the chile puree—it should sizzle sharply and, if the pan is sufficiently hot, the mixture should never stop boiling.  Stir every couple of minutes until the chile puree has darkened and reduced to the consistency of tomato paste, about a half hour. (I find it useful to cover the pot with an inexpensive spatter screen to catch any spattering chile.)

In two batches, blend the tomatillo mixture as smoothly as possible (you may need an extra 1/2 cup water to keep everything moving through the blades), then strain it in to the large bowl that contained the chiles. When the chile paste has reduced, add the tomatillo mixture to the pot and cook, stirring every few minutes until considerably darker and thicker, 15 to 20 minutes. (Again, a spatter screen saves a lot of cleanup.)

4.   Simmer.   Add the broth to the pot and briskly simmer the mixture over medium to medium-low heat for about 2 hours for all the flavors to come together and mellow. If the mole has thickened beyond the consistency of a cream soup, stir in a little water.  Taste and season with salt (usually about 4 teaspoons) and the sugar. 

Cool, cover and refrigerate until you're ready to use.  When you're ready to proceed, rewarm the mole.

Pulled Pork:

Rub Recipe

1c             Sugar in the Raw

1/4c          Fine Ground Sea Salt

4 1/2tsp    Granulated Garlic

4 1/2tsp    Course Onion Powder

2 1/4tsp    Celery Salt

1 1/2tsp    Ground Oregano

4 1/2tsp    Chili Powder

4 1/2tsp    Fine Ground Black Pepper

For some heat I would add 1tsp smoked chipotle powder. The boss does not like spicy food so I don't at home.

This is enough for 2-3 butts or 2 shoulders or 6 racks of SL rib racks. Will vary on size and how much you apply.

This is the method and process I used for the Pulled Pork. Figured i would save space and post the link.... I removed the pork at 190 and let rest for 45min before pulling into big pieces. I do not like shredded pork....

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/125208/3-shoulder-picnic-ham-smoke-w-q-view

Chimichurri:

1 bunch of Cilantro washed and dried

1 bunch of parsley washed and dried

5 ea cloves of garlic

1/4 cup diced white onion

2 ea smoked jalapeno (I smoked them the same time as the pork. I tossed them in a bit of EVOO and smoked for 2hr)

2 ea lime (zested and juiced)

2 ea lemon (zested and juiced)

EVOO as needed

S&P to taste

Chop the parsley, cilantro, garlic and onion to your preferred coarseness. In a bowl mix all ingredients and adjust the consistency with the EVOO and season with S&P to taste. Let sit for at least 30 min before using, best if over night to allow the flavors to blend.

Sweet Corn Pudding (Chi Chi Corn Cake):

I wish I could say this was my recipe I created, but it was not......this is the recipe i used. I have found in the ethnic section of Publix a pre mixed package. Have not tried it, but looks very easy to make....

This is the link to the following recipe and where I got it from:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/...=19004&origin=detail&servings=10&metric=false

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup butter

1/3 cup masa harina

1/4 cup water

1 1/2 cups whole kernel corn

1/4 cup cornmeal

1/3 cup white sugar

2 tablespoons heavy cream

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking powder
DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.In a medium bowl, beat butter with electric mixer until creamy. Add masa harina and water and beat until well combined.
3.In food processor or blender, process corn in short pulses to coarsely chop. Leave several pieces of whole corn. Stir the processed corn and the cornmeal into the butter mixture.
4.In a separate bowl, stir together sugar, cream, salt and baking powder until well combined. Stir sugar mixture into butter mixture and pour all into a 9x9-inch baking dish. Cover with foil.
5.Line a roasting pan with a damp kitchen towel. Place baking dish on towel, inside roasting pan, and place roasting pan on oven rack. Fill roasting pan with boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the baking dish. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove baking dish from water bath and let rest 10 minutes. Serve using ice cream scoop or large spoon.
Assembly:

Wash the pablano peppers and toss with EVOO and S&P. Grill over medium high heat until tender, yet firm. Make a cut into your pablano and remove the seeds. I actually cut a 1/2" section out of mine to make it easier to clean and stuff. In a saute pan add the PP and a bit of water to reheat, once the PP is hot add some of the chimichurri to season the PP to your taste. Carefully stuff the pepper with the hot PP. Top with some grated Mexican Melting Cheese. Place into a 375 degree oven and cook till the cheese it golden brown. Remove from oven and serve with the warm sweet corn pudding, warm mole and chimichurri.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky