Pulled Pork help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old golfer guy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
Put 2 8lb butts on the Kamado at 6:00AM expecting to eat at 6:PM Thankfully the dinner was cancelled by noon. The pork was not done by 11:00 that night!! Never got to 170 degrees so I wrapped in foil and thru in the oven for awhile at 350 then shredded it. Flavor of meat is OK but very dry and not that tender. Any ideas of how to resurrect this mess? Was thinking of chopping into smaller pieces and warming with BBQ sauce added? This was for P.P. sliders
Thanks

To quote @noboundaries "pork butts can't tell time". This is very true.
Since the meat was dry and not that tender, I suspect that it was still undercooked after being in the oven at 350 for a while. But the meat is still salvageable. If you have a crock pot, put the meat in it with some liquid, e.g. water, apple juice, beer, etc and let cook for 4 - 5 hours on high.
If it's any consolation, I put my pork butt in the smoker last night at 20:00 hrs for an overnight cook. IT just hit 180 degrees at 09:30 hrs this morning. The butt still has a ways to go since I am shooting for an IT between 203 - 206 degrees or probe tender whichever comes first.

BTW, what was the temp in your Kamado?

Last edited:
I have an Ivaton remote that gives grill and food temp and a BBQ Guru that keeps the heart steady. Also check the meat with my Thermapen. Thanks guys, I'll try the crock pot or maybe even S. V.

One way to check if a butt is done, is if the bone pulls out.
If the bone don't pull out it's not done.
As mentioned crock pot or oven with a little apple juice.
Every smoke is a learning experience.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky