pulled pork help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Tall order huh?  Figure that whatever LB Butts you get you will yield about 50% after trimming and smoking.  Figure 1/4 to 1/3 LB for each sammie.  Some will have 2 but most will have 1 with all the sides being served as well.   I'd figure on doing two 12-15lb butts and that should allow you some leftovers to enjoy later. 

Scott

Yep  the question is what else are you going to serve?   I like to have hot food coming off the smoker during the party.  Look up some good sides (abts, moink balls, pork shots, fatties) that can fill in the gaps for people that don't like pulled pork.   You also need to properly time the pulled pork so I would plan to have it done and in the cooler a couple of hours early just incase you get a slow one.  This will make smoker room for the extras.

The party is at a friend's house in Sunday. Not sure what else is being served. Smoking the pork on Saturday.
I would err on the side of caution and overshoot on amount and I will tell you why.  Most people (at least those who aren't from the south or never traveled there) have never really had authentic, smoked pulled pork.  Usually they are used to something that's been cooked in a crock pot and swamped in Open Pit.  I have found whenever I have done pulled pork for parties it blows peoples minds and they cant get enough.

Last edited:
I agree with Yotzee,

It's probably going to blow their socks off. If you're short on the meat, 40 people can quickly turn into a dangerous mob
a38.gif

Rmat , hello , you should have plenty of PP from 2-10# Butts , as  Scott mentioned , 1/4 to 1/3 lb.is a good portion . You'll have the double portion folks too ( especially after tasting your delicious Entrée .

Leftovers are no problem , as some will want a doggie bag , or if any left , it freezes well. Place in

zip freezer bags or Vac-seal them and place in boiling H2O to heat. Good stuff Maynerd.

Have fun and  . . . 

I know to do all of that. Just wasn't sure what size butts to do for the amount of people. I have a vac seal and have done it for some butts before. Thanks evryone for the help. Have a good weekend

Last edited:

One pulled and getting ready to pull the other. Came out really good. It was the first time doing pulled pork on my new smoker. Took awhile but I had no where to go yesterday so all good. Thanks for the help everyone.

Cheers

Reactions: marauder
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky