Pulled pork for a crowd

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

83 pounds of pork butt is.....

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

titus0327

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
North Tonawanda, NY
Hoping you guys can help me out with some numbers.... I'm smoking some butts for a friends stag. But not sure if I'm estimating my quantities needed.

Along with the pulled pork we'll have mac and cheese and slaw, so pulled pork will be the only meat.

I'm planning on feeding ~100 hungry guys.

Here's my estimations....
1/2 Pound cooked pork per guy
100 guys = 50 pounds cooked weight
Assuming a 40% loss,
50 pounds / 0.6 = 83 pounds uncooked weight

I figure that's about 9 butts.

A couple friends are telling me that I'm overestimating, and I'm not sure I'm estimating enough.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Titus

Sounds like a party. Go ahead and overestimate. If there is any left over it freezes and reheats well.

Here is a great spreadsheet for estimating quantities of food for a gathering.
Al

Attachments

• CateringV306.xls
    91.5 KB · Views: 35
1/2 pound of finished just seems like allot to me, especially with mac-n-cheese. I guess it would depend on your friends and their eating habits. Like said above it is better to have to much then to little.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Chris

i would estimate 1/3# cooked per person if there are sides and buns. So that would make about 100/3 = 33.33/.6 = ~56# uncooked. at 8# per butt....7 butts...
if you want mix in some chicken and/or ribs for variety.
Some chicken quarters cost about .69/# so pick up some of those and do a couple pans of them for variety....

Just my $0.02
phatbac (Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky