• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cjs938

Original poster
Sep 12, 2023
I am committed to doing pulled pork for 45 people on my Traeger timberline 850. How many butts should I do (or Lbs?) ?

Reactions: JLeonard
Pulled pork is a great way to feed a crowd. I'll throw out an estimate of about 8-10 oz per person starting weight (so about 25 lbs), then round up to the nearest butt. Unlike brisket, you don't lose a lot in trimming, but they do lose a fair bit of weight as they cook, plus the weight of the bone.

Welcome! Amount of sides and ages of people will + or - these estimates some. Old age seniors do not eat as much as a senior on the football team. So take who you are feeding into consideration also. There are some recent threads on this subject. Also best ways to reheat etc. So look around here and you'll get plenty of good ideas.

When I'm cooking pulled pork for a crowd I have always figured a pound per person raw weight when buying the butts. This has never failed me. Gives room for a little trimming, the bone, and weight loss when cooking. I almost always have a decent amount of leftovers which is a good thing. Send some home with your guests and freeze some for yourself. The options for leftover pulled pork are endless.

Who are you feeding? A group of high school boys are going to eat more than a bunch of elder ladies in a nursing home.

Chris

Who are you feeding? A group of high school boys are going to eat more than a bunch of elder ladies in a nursing home.

Chris

:emoji_point_up_2: good question. Makes me think about high school football back in my day. In the middle of two-a-days our group cleared out a literal truck bed full of watermelons in less than 3 minutes. Not joking. Couldn't cut it up fast enough. A bunch of pulled pork would be no different!!

The above is great replies and suggestions. Pick out the details that fit your details for the amount of meat.

The next step is to cook the butts a few at a time many many days in advance.
Pulled pork keeps very nice in the fridge for 10 days or more.
Reheat in roasters on the day of the feast.
Does the audience like smoked meat or just roasted meat? A pellet pooper to me only puts out roasted meat with a slight flavor. To give it more smoke flavor use a pellet smoke tube in the pooper.

A catering trick is to use a smaller bun size to cut down on meat per person

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky