Pulled Pork ...cheated a bit...but it was great

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pm0084

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 30, 2016
Fredericksburg VA
Ok...so the wife wanted some pulled pork for dinner and I needed some to take to work for lunches this week...so off to Walmart.

Started with a nice trimed 8.5 pound butt.

Gave it the rub down...which is where I cheated. I was feeling a bit rub mixing lazy...so I did the unthinkable...bought a premixed rub...gasp

Spend 15 hours at 240 in the Apple Wood smoke...turned out juicy and yummy.

I will say that the premixed rub is actully pretty darn good...I feel as though I cheated a bit, but was in a time crunch...In the end though we had juicy pulled pork and no one even cared that the rub was premixed.

Looks great.

The store bought mix? How many people do you think make their own? I very rarely do. Many good premixs out there. Just try to find the ones without much salt in them.

Reactions: jaimeruns
Yep I agree. There a whole bunch of wonderful ones out there. You just need to find your taste. It is no different than making your own, Lots of great recipes out there, but if they don't suit your taste then you keep looking.

PP looks great... Point 

Definitely looks great to me! I make a great rub, but I don't always use it, I use some stuff that I get here locally from a meat market.

We had a brisket and rib cookoff at the local Kiwanis Lodge a few years back, I was one of the judges. The winning ribs had a flavor that blew all of us away, it was that good! I asked the guy what it was and he told me to come by his RV later and he'd show me. I was figuring on a top secret recipe or something like that...

Nope, the shaker he had said, "FAMILY DOLLAR BBQ Seasoning". I figured he was joking until he opened it up and I tasted it. I still thought he was full of BS until he produced a shaker that was still factory sealed!

I still can't find any in the stores, or online!

I wonder if that was a custom blend by a supplier. We get a lot of them up here for oilfield companies. Weatherford spice was the one that started it up here. Went to a spice company and made a blend and bang. I am considering doing that myself. It's a thought Cranky

Definitely looks great to me! I make a great rub, but I don't always use it, I use some stuff that I get here locally from a meat market.

We had a brisket and rib cookoff at the local Kiwanis Lodge a few years back, I was one of the judges. The winning ribs had a flavor that blew all of us away, it was that good! I asked the guy what it was and he told me to come by his RV later and he'd show me. I was figuring on a top secret recipe or something like that...

Nope, the shaker he had said, "FAMILY DOLLAR BBQ Seasoning". I figured he was joking until he opened it up and I tasted it. I still thought he was full of BS until he produced a shaker that was still factory sealed!

I still can't find any in the stores, or online!

That is the problem with store rubs.! You find a great one and they stop making it!...

Great looking Pork but not cheating. I had a butt to be smoked and the weather went bad. I CHEATED!!!
I roasted the butt then foiled with Coke. Couple of hours and the bone nearly fell out. Now my confession...
I Simmered 2C Coke, 1/2C ACVinegar, 2T Molasses, 1T Rub and 2tsp...LIQUID SMOKE! Mixed it in to the pork and it was really good! The perfect cheat when the weather sucks...JJ

Last edited:
That is the problem with store rubs.! You find a great one and they stop making it! I make my own but then I do all the cooking and know I have everything on hand...

Great looking Pork but not cheating. I had a butt to be smoked and the weather went bad. I CHEATED!!! I roasted the butt then foiled with Coke. Couple of hours and the bone nearly fell out. Now my confession...
I Simmered 2C Coke, 1/2C ACVinegar, 2T Molasses, 1T Rub and 2tsp...LIQUID SMOKE! Mixed it in to the pork and it was really good! The perfect cheat when the weather sucks...JJ

Liquid smoke is cheating thou. Lol

I agree looks great ,not cheating. Never seen the bp bag of pp before,anyone know if it plumps when you cook it?

I agree looks great ,not cheating. Never seen the bp bag of pp before,anyone know if it plumps when you cook it?

YEP!...You don't vent the bag before Nuking it and it Plumps...Then explodes!...JJ

Nice to see that using store bought rub is not frowned upon.

I have to agree though that the Ball Park bag may be pushing it a bit far into the cheat zone.

The ballpark would definitely be a foul ball.
laugh1.gif
way to go cranky how often do you use it? I've never seen that in the stores of course I wasn't looking either.
laugh1.gif
  Go ahead make my day.

I use Tony's rub most all the time I do have a sauce that I make though. PP looks great.

Warren

Your butt turned out great.

Nothing wrong with using a store bought rub. But once you come up with a home made rub you like, just keep some on hand ready to use. I make up a big batch, put it in an airtight container and store ut in the freezer. This keeps the brown sugar from clumping and its always ready to use.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky