Pulled Beef Sandwich

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I love pulled beef. It is a piece of chuck that is slow smoked until very tender and them pulled. I have learned to pull beef and mix it with some sauce and grilled onion to make great sandwiches. This is how I do it.

Rub a 1 kg (2.2 pound) blade, chuck, or cross rib roast with your favourite BBQ rub for beef. For this cook I used 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of Penzey’ BBQ 3001 Rub.

I put the roast in my Bradley P10 smoker at 250 F (120 C) with a roasting pan on the rack underneath it. I smoked it to an internal temperature of 140 F (60 C) which took about 3 hours.

Pulled Beef Sandwich 01.jpg

Put the roast in the pan and cover it with foil. Put it back in the smoker or a 250 F (140 C) oven (no more smoke flavour will be added due to the foil).

While the roast continues to cook. slice 1/2 of an onion into slivers lengthwise to add to the sauce later.

When the internal temperature of the beef is 195 F (90 C) insert a probe into the beef. If it goes in very easily, like pushing the probe into butter, the beef is done. If it has any resistance continue smoking to an internal temperature of 197 F (92 C) and probe again. Keep increasing the internal temperature 2 degrees at a time until probe tender. The last couple of degrees can take a long time. It took about 2 hours in foil for this cook.

Take the foil off the beef.

Pulled Beef Sandwich 03.jpg

Pour the liquid off the pan into a clear container. Put the beef on a cutting board and tent with foil.

Put 25 ml (2 tablespoons) of the fat that floats to the top into a fry pan. Remove 50 ml (1/4 cup) of the juice from under the fat with a turkey baster. Mix it with 50 ml (1/4 cup) of your favourite barbecue sauce.

Pulled Beef Sandwich 04.jpg

Heat the beef fat over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook until just starting to caramelize, about 10 minutes.

Stir in the sauce/juice mixture and bring to a boil.

Pulled Beef Sandwich 05.jpg

Uncover the beef and pull it into shreds with your fingers or two forks. Pull any large chunks of fat off and discard.

Mix the onion sauce mixture with the beef.

At this point, you can make your sandwich, or refrigerate/freeze the beef. It reheats well.

Stack the beef on a bun and add a slice of dill pickle.

Pulled-Beef-Sandwich-06.jpg

Pulled Beef Sandwich 07.jpg

The Verdict

I love this sandwich. It has a rich, smoky, spicy beef with the rich sweetness of barbecue sauce. The onions give it big flavour and complexity.

You can double or triple the recipe and freeze the meat/sauce mixture in single sandwich portions to make sandwiches whenever you want them.

Disco

Nicely done Sir. Pulled Beef is not something I have made for my family, YET! They always want my Pot Roast when we have a Chuck roast in the house.

I really do make a killer Pot Roast!😆...JJ

Nicely done Sir. Pulled Beef is not something I have made for my family, YET! They always want my Pot Roast when we have a Chuck roast in the house.

I really do make a killer Pot Roast!😆...JJ
Cool! Have you posted your pot roast for us mere mortals?

Most Excellent Disco, I like pulled beef better then pulled pork, and yours looks killer.

Point for sure
Chris

Good stuff . I like pulled beef just like you have it there . Beef , bun and pickle . Perfect .

Looks delicious Disco!
However, I’ll take pulled pork over pulled beef anytime.
But that is just our preference!
Al

HOLY.....COW!!!
Great thread Disco, that all looks amazing as usual you nailed it. I love your threads, you're the King of the Smo"KING" Meat Forums in my opinion. It doesn't get much better than this, nice work.

Merry Christmas.
Dan

Looks great Disco! Great step by step directions too. We've only made Chuck Roasts in the Crock Pot, but this may be something new to try. We're running out of new things since March and lockdown, lol. Great work as usual. Thanks for sharing and wishing you and your a Safe and Happy Holiday!

That's a great looking sandwich Disco! We really like pulled beef also. With the sauce you made it really has to have a good flavor.

Ryan

Man that sure looks good disco. I like how you did your finishing sauce. I usually just de-fat the liquid to add back in. I do that for beef and pork. But the addition of carmilized onion in its own fat and cutting the bbq with the liquid is top notch. Nice work my friend!

Cool! Have you posted your pot roast for us mere mortals?

Doesn't look like I did. For you My Friend...I will work on getting it done. The kids are asking for Pot Roast with a piece of Chuck we recently purchased...JJ

Most Excellent Disco, I like pulled beef better then pulled pork, and yours looks killer.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks, Chris. Saying I admit to loving both!

Good stuff . I like pulled beef just like you have it there . Beef , bun and pickle . Perfect .

Thanks, Chopsaw!

Looks delicious Disco!
However, I’ll take pulled pork over pulled beef anytime.
But that is just our preference!
Al

I love both but I love most food! Thanks, Al!

Great Job Disco.
Love the detailed description of your methods.

Thanks so much!

HOLY.....COW!!!
Great thread Disco, that all looks amazing as usual you nailed it. I love your threads, you're the King of the Smo"KING" Meat Forums in my opinion. It doesn't get much better than this, nice work.

Merry Christmas.
Dan

Blushing here, Dan! I'm just a fat old Canadian foodie. Merry Christmas to you, Sir!

Looks great Disco! Great step by step directions too. We've only made Chuck Roasts in the Crock Pot, but this may be something new to try. We're running out of new things since March and lockdown, lol. Great work as usual. Thanks for sharing and wishing you and your a Safe and Happy Holiday!

I love chuck in the slow cooker. It makes the best gravy! May the season be kind to you and yours!

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
Looks excellant Disco.

Much appreciated, Jim!

Looks darn good disco! Glad to see your converting the measurements for us savages out here.... :emoji_laughing:
jim

Thanks, Jim. You guys will join the rest of the world someday!

That's a great looking sandwich Disco! We really like pulled beef also. With the sauce you made it really has to have a good flavor.

Ryan

Thanks, Ryan. I am a bit of an onion addict!

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Man that sure looks good disco. I like how you did your finishing sauce. I usually just de-fat the liquid to add back in. I do that for beef and pork. But the addition of carmilized onion in its own fat and cutting the bbq with the liquid is top notch. Nice work my friend!

Thanks, Travis! However, I have to admit I do the sauce and onions out of laziness. I keep some of this in the freezer and with the sauce and onions already in, I just have to heat it and throw it on bun for a treat.

Doesn't look like I did. For you My Friend...I will work on getting it done. The kids are asking for Pot Roast with a piece of Chuck we recently purchased...JJ

I wait with bated breath!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky