Puerco Pibil aka Cochinita Pibil - My Best/Final Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Okay, I think I've nailed it down and I'm sticking with this as my final recipe.
OMG'osh is this good stuff, no more playing around with it.

Puerco Pibil
6lbs of boneless Butt cut into fist sized chunks
1.5C Sour Orange juice*

(*To mimic Sour Oranges for this or other Mexican recipes such as Carnitas or Carne asada, just mix equal parts Grapefruit juice, Orange juice, Lime juice and Vinegar.)

1.5C White or AC vinegar
1/2C Lemon juice, fresh
3T of El Yucateco Habanero salsa (Red or Red XXXtra Hot), for a sauce that's not too hot*

(*Traditionally this is supposed to be a very spicy dish, but it is easily adapted.
Fresh chiles can vary wildly in their heat/strength, the bottled hot sauce is a more stable heat source and therefore easily adjustable according to your tolerances.
)

1 large Red onion, sliced
3 Bay leaves, fresh
10 cloves garlic
4t salt
1/2C Achiote paste
2T Pepper, ground
1.5T Cumin, ground
1.5t Allspice, ground
3/4t Cloves, ground
Banana leaves OR Oven bag.

Preheat oven to 325°.

If using whole spices, grind your spices (except Bay leaves) into fine powder before blending into the other ingredients.

In a blender or food processor combine all ingredients except the pork, Red onion, Bay leaves and Banana leaves.
Blend till mix is smooth.
Place pork in a large bowl and pour the mixture over the chunks of pork and mix to cover.

v4vd909.jpg

My large 18" enameled roasting pan works best for me, as I can fit all the pork in one layer for even cooking in the sauce.
But an 8qt 12D" (extra deep) or a 14"-16" Dutch Oven works really well too.
A large covered casserole dish or disposable roasting pan should work too.

Lay two pieces long pieces of twine down, then layer the Banana leaves, fill with pork and sauce and top with the 3 Bay leaves and Red onions.
Fold leaves over to cover and then tie it to seal it up.
If you don't have twine, save one leaf to lay over the top and tuck down around the edges.

BqvcySJ.jpg

kSXfvfR.jpg

faAssR7.jpg

Cover with foil or lid and into the oven.
Cook for four hours.

Remove from oven when done, open and trim leaves to access the meat.
Spoon sauce over the meat before serving, sauce is damned good on rice and beans too.

hPjIwC3.jpg

Serve as tacos, burritos, enchiladas or just plated with rice/beans.

SF1YdPS.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. Banana Leaves in my Neighborhood!?! No Way José...It's peaceful and crime free, but you have to order in anything more exotic than an Avocado...JJ

Dang Chili, as usual that looks incredible!
Thanks man.
Damn John, is that even legal to post? :emoji_wink:

Very nice thread my friend!
Gosh, I hope so, my wife has repeatedly told me not to call her to get bailed out.
Thanks Justin.
Nice. Banana Leaves in my Neighborhood!?! No Way José...It's peaceful and crime free, but you have to order in anything more exotic than an Avocado...JJ
Thanks JJ.
That looks so good.....
Thank you sdkid.
Chile,
That is truely a work of art.
The plated shot is the grand slam.
Appreciate that SHS.
Hoping the enchiladas are as good tomorrow.

Simply amazing John, taking it to another level!!! One question and don't laugh. Why do you need the banana leaves? Do they add to the flavor? It didn't look like you ate them.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great as always chilli, been wanting to search for banana leaves. Nice job!!

Scrumptious as usual sir. My neighbor has a banana tree but the leaves sure don't look like THAT!
Don

Simply amazing John, taking it to another level!!! One question and don't laugh. Why do you need the banana leaves? Do they add to the flavor? It didn't look like you ate them.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris.
Yes, they add a flavor that is key part of what makes all such dishes cooked in Banana, Plantain or Ti leaves, unique.
Ageless traditional cooking methods using natural products as cooking containers, gotta love it.
Common all around the world in sub-tropical-tropical zones.

Last edited:
Looks great as always chilli, been wanting to search for banana leaves. Nice job!!
Thanks pNc.
If you've any Latin or Asian markets, ask if they carry frozen banana leaves.
Scrumptious as usual sir. My neighbor has a banana tree but the leaves sure don't look like THAT!
Don
Thanks Don.
Mine don't look like these either, but my wife's friend's do.
And those are actually medium sized, big ones are the size of beach towels.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky