Puerco Pibil aka Cochinita Pibil - My Best/Final Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Chili That looks great as always LIKES
Richie
Outstanding Chili as always! :emoji_ok_hand:
Man, that looks awesome!!

Like!
Looks great man I would love to give that a try. Love the hot stuff
Thank you, thanks and much appreciation for the compliments and Likes.

I love it when I nail down another recipe that's so delicious.
Now I'm going to work on the Hawaiian Kalua pork.
I even bought Hawaiian Alaea salt just for it.
The most traditional and basic recipe is simply pork, alaea salt and banana leaves cooked in the imu underground oven.
But I'm going to stick with a more modern Luau type recipe with pineapple, ginger, garlic and maybe some coconut milk.
I'll have to talk with a couple of real Hawaiians I know from some fishing forums and see if that's just too Haole or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Omnivore
137inchGreaterHammer.jpg
So chili, are you a fisherman also?

As I are one.....
Yeah,
I do all sorts of FW and SW fishing, primarily SW here in the GoM.

Last edited:
I’ll have to start looking around for banana leaves. I’m sure I can find them with a little effort.

Nice shark! What kind? My thinking was a thresher. What kind of meat in terms of quality and quantity do you get from something like that?

Did you need a bigger boat!? Lol

I primarily fly fish. I don’t think I’ve ever caught a fish anywhere near the size of that dorsal fin.

I’ll have to start looking around for banana leaves. I’m sure I can find them with a little effort.

Nice shark! What kind? My thinking was a thresher. What kind of meat in terms of quality and quantity do you get from something like that?

Did you need a bigger boat!? Lol

I primarily fly fish. I don’t think I’ve ever caught a fish anywhere near the size of that dorsal fin.
That's a 12' male, Great Hammerhead.
He was caught in Florida waters so he's protected there.
Besides, we'd never intentionally kill any exceptional breeding specimen of any species of fish/shark.
He was tagged and released for NOAA's Apex Predator tagging program.
I prefer Spinner, Blacktip, Mako and others over Hammers.
We cut them all into 1-2 inch steaks.

No boat, we use a kayak to run baits out anywhere from 50 to 500 yards and then sit on the beach.

Last edited:
View attachment 403531 Yeah,
I do all sorts of FW and SW fishing, primarily SW here in the GoM.

I lived in south Florida (gold coast) for 6 years in the 80's and did a lot of saltwater fishing (caught my share of sharks there - but my first one was of the back of a navy ship in the pacific believe it or not with a length of chain and a hook made in the ships welding shop with a chunk of meat from the mess hall tied to some rope...:emoji_laughing:)

As far as freshwater fishing is concerned I have been fishing since I was 6 years old everywhere and for anything since then (53 years) and really love the white fillets, like any panfish (crappie - bluegill - sunfish), walleye, and striper.

I have a ton of fish recipes I can share if you are interested.

I did do a 5 day trip out of san diego to the baja and did really well on yellow tails and ok on mahi mahi, we tried for bluefine but blanked on those.
Mexico Fishing 9-2009 029.jpg

My wife is my first mate and our best day fishing has been 140+ stripers in a day (within several hours) - and we quit when we were too tired to reel anymore in....Lake Powell...fishing heaven.

PDR_0001.JPG

John

Last edited:
Reactions: chilerelleno
Dammit Man,
them Yellowtail are great fishing and eating.

San Diego is my home stomping grounds and where I learned to saltwater fish.
I was born and raised a 32nd Street Navy Brat till my Dad retired when I was about 9.
Pissed me off that I missed my first Tiger Cruise by one year.

I had to learn how to fish all over again when I move down here on the Gulf of Mexico.

Last edited:
Reactions: bauchjw and drdon
In my early twenties I was working on San Diego harbor for Star and Crescent Boat Company and we used to charter the sport fishing boats during the winter for whale watching as our boats weren't suitable.
I got to know several of the boats crews and captains very well.
I lived three blocks from Fisherman's Landing in Point Loma, I would walk down to the sport boats and I could walk onto any boat free for up to a day trip.
Life was very good.

Last edited:
None of the captains from back then are still working, that was over 20 years ago. Even some of the boats are retired or moved.
Perfect example, Cpt. Ben Griffith is retired and both his boats renamed and operating out of different ports.
Him, his crews and boats, Bright Star and Morning Star are the ones I knew best.

Another great benefit was being front and center for the America's Cup yacht races in '92 and '95, again no charge. A slot on some boats were over a $1000..
Those are valued memories, watching history being made while hanging out in the flying bridge of the old Morning Star.

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky