1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Protein lined casing inside a UMAI bag

Discussion in 'Curing' started by streetguy, Feb 9, 2019.

1. streetguy

streetguy Newbie

When making dry cured meats in a curing chamber recipes call for protein lined or beef middles for stuffing. I guess this the freedom of a chamber to use what ever casing you want. Whats everyone think about stuffing into a protein lined casing or any other casing of your choice and putting that into an UMAI bag. The UMAI bags are great and very versatile. I just thought this might give you more options. What ever casing you use would have to be suited for use in a curing chamber.

2. nepas

nepas Legendary Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

It will work but your defeating the UMAi process. UMAi are made to breath and let air and moisture out without the fancy use of dedicated temp/rh controls.

3. streetguy

streetguy Newbie

I dont have a curing chamber. I would still put it in the refrigerator. I thought this would give me more options on casing. That way you could smoke it first or after or what ever you wanted.