Protein lined casing inside a UMAI bag

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

streetguy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
When making dry cured meats in a curing chamber recipes call for protein lined or beef middles for stuffing. I guess this the freedom of a chamber to use what ever casing you want. Whats everyone think about stuffing into a protein lined casing or any other casing of your choice and putting that into an UMAI bag. The UMAI bags are great and very versatile. I just thought this might give you more options. What ever casing you use would have to be suited for use in a curing chamber.

It will work but your defeating the UMAi process. UMAi are made to breath and let air and moisture out without the fancy use of dedicated temp/rh controls.

It will work but your defeating the UMAi process. UMAi are made to breath and let air and moisture out without the fancy use of dedicated temp/rh controls.
I dont have a curing chamber. I would still put it in the refrigerator. I thought this would give me more options on casing. That way you could smoke it first or after or what ever you wanted.

UMAi bags are made to breath and release moisture. Using a PL Collagen casing inside the UMAi ruins the integrity of the UMAi bags.

With UMAi you dont need any fancy equipment, your house fridge works perfectly.

Just saying

I'll be prepping a designated coke cooler for the use of the UMAi bags. Controllers have arrived and I'll be drilling this week. Make make a batch this weekend. The cooler is 6cf. My testing has shown drawing of humidity through the top moisture hose, online description also saws a 5 minute air exchange fan that is equipped as well. I look forward to some attempts. May not assume my ph levels are good by just time elapsed. I may bite the bullet and buy a PH monitor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky