Projects with lots of pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dwaytkus

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 9, 2013
Hudson Falls, NY
It's been a while since I've been on. Here are a few projects I've completed. Hope everyone is doing well.

Dan

Venison trail bologna chubs and venison polish sausage.

Cajun Alligator sausage

Smoked Lake Trout &a Landlocked Salmon

Black Bear Pepperoni

Cheddar Hot Links

Goose Pastrami

Man that is awesome!

I like the variety and when people do stuff that is outside the norm :)

Thanks everyone.  I harvest a lot of different wild game meat and fish and try to incorporate them into a smoked product.  

The trail bologna was my first time doing a smoke in larger casings and it turned out excellent.  I definitely can't wait to do more of this size.

Up next on my project list is:

Smoked Lake Ontario King Salmon candy/jerky.

Landjaeger- either venison or pork.

Umai dry aged Chorizo

Venison Pastrami

Black Bear something ?? Haven't decided yet

Thanks everyone.  I harvest a lot of different wild game meat and fish and try to incorporate them into a smoked product.  

The trail bologna was my first time doing a smoke in larger casings and it turned out excellent.  I definitely can't wait to do more of this size.

Up next on my project list is:

Smoked Lake Ontario King Salmon candy/jerky.

Landjaeger- either venison or pork.

Umai dry aged Chorizo

Venison Pastrami

Black Bear something ?? Haven't decided yet
I look forward to the posts.

I highly recommend the Venison Pastrami.  I did 80% pure ground venison (no fat) mixed with 20% ground beef fat (8 pounds meat, 2 pounds fat = 10 pounds total) and followed a slightly modified recipe I found and WOW I was blown away!  The beef fat is a must to get that extra pastrami meat flavor.

You can read about my experience in detail here:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/263815/pastrami-loaf-with-qview

I usually have about 130 pounds of deboned wild game (venison and pork) after I take my hunting vacation in late October.  This year I will be adding cured Venison Pastrami to my meat processing plan along with my usual Fresh Brats, Cured Pork Franks (if I shoot any feral hogs), and pure ground Venison (no fat added).

Keep up the great posts :)

I look forward to the posts.

I highly recommend the Venison Pastrami.  I did 80% pure ground venison (no fat) mixed with 20% ground beef fat (8 pounds meat, 2 pounds fat = 10 pounds total) and followed a slightly modified recipe I found and WOW I was blown away!  The beef fat is a must to get that extra pastrami meat flavor.

You can read about my experience in detail here:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/263815/pastrami-loaf-with-qview

I usually have about 130 pounds of deboned wild game (venison and pork) after I take my hunting vacation in late October.  This year I will be adding cured Venison Pastrami to my meat processing plan along with my usual Fresh Brats, Cured Pork Franks (if I shoot any feral hogs), and pure ground Venison (no fat added).

Keep up the great posts :)
I checked out your post and man that looks great!  I'm gonna have to try that for sure.

I make Venison Pastrami every year out of the roasts.  I can't keep it in my freezer because all my friends and family want some  :-)

Here is a Venison Pastrami pic and a Elk Heart Pastrami as well.

I checked out your post and man that looks great!  I'm gonna have to try that for sure.

I make Venison Pastrami every year out of the roasts.  I can't keep it in my freezer because all my friends and family want some  :-)

Here is a Venison Pastrami pic and a Elk Heart Pastrami as well.

Mmmmm that looks good.  

If you have a bunch of pure venison grind or you add 20% beef fat to your venison grind then you can make the Venison Pastrami Loaf at any point.  It's a good use of any extra grind you may have if you have any or have a lot.  I try to keep about 30-35 pounds of pure venison grind every year and I really never need to buy ground beef all year long :)

Mmmmm that looks good.  

If you have a bunch of pure venison grind or you add 20% beef fat to your venison grind then you can make the Venison Pastrami Loaf at any point.  It's a good use of any extra grind you may have if you have any or have a lot.  I try to keep about 30-35 pounds of pure venison grind every year and I really never need to buy ground beef all year long :)
I usually keep around 50 lbs of venison to grind each year.  20 lbs of Italian Sausage, 15 lbs of Breakfast Sausage & 15 lbs of burger.  Any additional grind goes toward smoked sausage of some sort.  Roasts go to pastrami or pot roast.  Ill have to give this a pastrami a shot.  I bet it makes some great sandwiches!  I bet it would also be good stuffed in a large fibrous casing and then sliced.

I usually keep around 50 lbs of venison to grind each year.  20 lbs of Italian Sausage, 15 lbs of Breakfast Sausage & 15 lbs of burger.  Any additional grind goes toward smoked sausage of some sort.  Roasts go to pastrami or pot roast.  Ill have to give this a pastrami a shot.  I bet it makes some great sandwiches!  I bet it would also be good stuffed in a large fibrous casing and then sliced.
Sounds like you have a similar processing setup to me.  

The ground venison pastrami is awesome!  It is actually tweaked from a Pastrami Dog (sausage) recipe so I'm sure it will go well in fibrous casings.  It would be like summer sausage but pastrami instead.

I try to do 30-40 pounds Venison brats, 20-30 pounds Feral Pork Franks (depends on size and number of hogs killed), about 10 pounds of some random Venison sausage idea for the year, and I usually look to produce 30-35 pounds pure Venison grind (no fat added).  The pure grind is so versatile and I can always add fat later to make sausages but often leave as is for replacement of beef grind.  

The venison scrap meat first goes to grind for sausage.  I then grind the ugliest/smallest roasts to make weight for the remaining amount of sausage grind I need.  The rest of the roast grind remains to for my pure Venison grind.

I keep about 15 pounds of the best roasts which usually get cooked into Venison Fajittas or anything else I can use a lean roast for.  

I keep all the shanks WITH the Heal muscle attached.  This may be my favorite part as I make a killer Braised Venison Shank dish.  It is out of this world and IMO the only way to use the shank.  To me grinding shanks is just a waste and produces poor grind meat due to all that tough silver skin, tendon, and undesirable grind tissue :)

I use the pork shanks to make authentic style (well as authentic as I can get) Japanese pork ramen noodle soup in my pressure cooker.  Real ramen noodle is NOTHING like the cheap instant mess from the store. Its like thinking chef boyardee canned pasta dishes are the same as hand made noodles and home made pasta dishes... complete night and day :)

Prepare to gasp... I give my brother his weight of the haul in backstrap which is usually around 30-35 pounds.  The kicker is I don't clean it up, he has to do that.  Saves me about 4 hours of processing time which is HUGE when doing 90% of the processing alone over 5 days at about 12 hours a day.  My upper back is killing me by the end from all the leaning over to debone/cut/grind/etc lol

We bring in 5-7 animals (usually 7) from our big hunting vacation.  It is usually about 6 deer and 1 feral hog or so but the hogs can add on to increase the number of animals.  Also sometimes later in the year I get a chance at hogs so I can max out at about 9 animals for the year but my freezer space is really only good for about 7 with no hog being over 200 pounds.

I look forward to hearing about your hunting haul this year and seeing what you make from it :)

This may be my favorite part as I make a killer Braised Venison Shank dish.  It is out of this world and IMO the only way to use the shank.  To me grinding shanks is just a waste and produces poor grind meat due to all that tough silver skin, tendon, and undesirable grind tissue :)

I look forward to hearing about your hunting haul this year and seeing what you make from it :)
I would love to hear about your venison Shank recipe!!!  I have a bunch saved in the freezer.  I was gonna try doing an Osso Buco.

I am a butcher so I make pretty quick work of all my cuts.  

My wild game freezer  
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Shoot me a PM we will keep in touch

Dan

Wow blows my little stand up freezer away hahaha.

Here is the recipe post for the Braised Venison Shanks, I really need to update the pic to do the dish justice.  That pic was from an old phone from years ago, but know people rave about the dish and it has basically pushed the shank to being my favorite part of the deer hahaha

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/258083/braised-venison-shanks

I don't really have a way to slice the shanks into cross sections and my "kinda" attempts at Osso Buco with the shanks just did not compare to the braised recipe.

Also you can use the front shanks for the braised recipe no problem.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky