project curing chamber

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boykjo

Renowned Sausage Maker
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Apr 28, 2010
Raleigh,NC
Finally found what I have been looking for. Got this true merchandiser for 40 bucks..... Its in pristine condition but it is not cooling. I couldn't pass it up. I have a co worker who is a refrigeration guy and he said he will take a look at it and see whats wrong. The worst I think will be a compressor for a few hundred bucks..... I'm wanting to take my sausage making to the next level........ I have a few projects going on like my smoker so this one will have to wait till the spring.... The house is filling up with freezers and fridges. I'm running out of room....LOL  had to put it in the man cave

Thanks for looking

Joe

Can't beat that for 40bucks, I think you should divide it and 1/2 curing chamber and 1/2 beer chamber LOL
beercheer.gif

Let us know how it goes for you in the spring.

Where would we be without projects? <chuckles>

Sounds like a sound plan of attack. LOL.... as the house fills with freezers and reefers its harder and harder to justify new projects. I am thinking we need to start working on large walk-in chill and freeze boxes. ROFL  Awwww..... we'd run out of room in them too. ROFLMAO!

great find, only thing with them commercial refigeration units, really all commercial kitchen appliances is they suck the juice like theres no tomorrow.  have the hydro company come out to install new bearings in your meter cause its gonna spin like crazy.  lol.

Nice find Joe. I have a commercial single door refrigerator, I want to make that into an electric smoker for my garage.

But to that has been sitting in my garage for a couple years waiting for me to get to it.  Someday!

SOB

Great find . Will you think about blocking the window so light does not get in the chamber. Everything I have read says keep the contact with light minimal

Robert

I got a hard start kit for the compressor from a refrigeration guy at work and hooked it up to the compressor and looks like the compressor is bad. Will cost me around $325 to get a new one. If It gets fixed its worth about $1500. They are around $2500. Still debating what to do with it

Hey Roller,

Well it sits in the bar taking up space..... I did a hard start on the compressor and its locked up. A new compressor is going to run me around $350. I dont know if its going to make its way to a curing chamber. I had it on CL for $100 and no takers. I am going to try some fermented sausages here soon..... I plan on filling the water tray with some salt and water and place it in the bottom of the fridge and get the humidity to 75% and the temp is right around 66 in the winter in the bar. Going to make some semi dried country sausage and some salami. We'll see... I paid 40 bucks for it so I would at leas like to get my money back for it. It would make a nice smoker but I'm already busy with my 250 build. Would like to down size my plans and get a large wine cooler fridge and make a curing chamber out if it

Joe

Last edited:

great find, only thing with them commercial refigeration units, really all commercial kitchen appliances is they suck the juice like theres no tomorrow.  have the hydro company come out to install new bearings in your meter cause its gonna spin like crazy.  lol.
Screw the bearings. Have them install a fan blade then build a smoke box around it and you can have convection!

Joe take a picture of the label on the compressor.  I may be able to find a better price for a new compressor through my connections.  Let me know.   ed

Sure will Ed... have it for ya when I get home tonight

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky