Progress Report

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alesmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 21, 2016
Southern Illinois
Got the frame mostly finished today. Still gets casters and a shelf at the bottom. Test fit the CC and she fit like a glove!
db2a2ec9fb29ca7a8abe738179033179.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rabbithutch
Looks like it's coming along nicely!

Al
Thanks Al! Today was tough. Got my plates cut today to cap off the ends and it took all my fab time for the day. Felt like nothing got done. But I came home to my new River Country Thermos and Spring handle in the mail so it perked my spirits!

I usually cut the door and weld in the guides before putting on the end plates.  That way you can easily weld the back side of the guides.

Thanks for the tip! I'm constantly thinking about the build, always fearing that my order of operations is going to screw me. Tips like this are super helpful!

Made some great progress on the Smoker today. Clockwise from top left: Brackets for lid handle. Welding in the front of the fire box. Plasma cutting the lid on the Cook Chamber. Opening to the firebox welded and ground smooth.
041ab8cb22f41c5f648c5d0cdace1c29.jpg

Reactions: rabbithutch
Looking good!.. Looks like your pretty slick with the welder (Although you use that ancient wleding helmet).

If you have not done it already since you have a perfect cut on the pipe, think about welding the firebox to cook chamber on the inside to give you a clean look. (See photo)

I weld 1/2 on inside and the lower half of the firebox on the outside.

Reactions: ghoster
PROGRESS REPORT! Monday Funday! Glad to get back at it after the weekend! So stoked as it's actually looking like a smoker now! Fabbed up the hinges, handle and finished the outer gasket. Gonna need to plan a counterweight...that lid is HEAVY!
8d2ac548c34fe72d0d2fadda7213fb7e.jpg
acbe005eb25efd62cef75b0bca9bdd45.jpg
7ff1ddd6635f52f4d072742d1ea5d59a.jpg
fde3a1303fa9e71366025a2c8f4a1c9b.jpg
a6e53cdf45cadd53ed41946aafb19e2e.jpg

Ahh I see you suffer from FLOCCINAUCINIHILIPILIFICATIONTHATFUCKENDOORFLANGEAINTFALLINOFF    .

I guess you like welding. I am a bit concerned about the door handle though, looks like those welds may break if someone jerks really hard on it.  Better run another couple of passes over it ;)

Whats next?  Are you going to machine the firebox out of a 5' square piece of billet?

Ahh I see you suffer from FLOCCINAUCINIHILIPILIFICATIONTHATFUCKENDOORFLANGEAINTFALLINOFF    .

I guess you like welding. I am a bit concerned about the door handle though, looks like those welds may break if someone jerks really hard on it.  Better run another couple of passes over it ;)

Whats next?  Are you going to machine the firebox out of a 5' square piece of billet?
And to think that I held back and decided NOT to use .045 FCAW[emoji]128514[/emoji]. I really do love welding and fabricating though. After looking at so many cheaply slapped together big box smokers, I knew that I was going big or not at all. I like the FB idea! I'll check in to it[emoji]128516[/emoji]

Just a small update. Finished up my Fire Grate and welded in the back plate of the FB.
aef6163013b6d235414182c6f3083f79.jpg
5bdda2911af2c593f8e798a535d3f93c.jpg

The Smoker Build is coming right along. Capped off the two ends of the Cook Chamber. Installed an inner gasket. Got the grease drain put in. Got the exhaust in. Welded the Cook Chamber to the base and added casters. Got the damper on the Fire Box door done. Just a few more finishing touches before paint!
55ae4a08e5aaf75406516df52c79ec97.jpg

The Smoker Build is coming right along. Capped off the two ends of the Cook Chamber. Installed an inner gasket. Got the grease drain put in. Got the exhaust in. Welded the Cook Chamber to the base and added casters. Got the damper on the Fire Box door done. Just a few more finishing touches before paint!
55ae4a08e5aaf75406516df52c79ec97.jpg

Got the much needed counterweight fabbed up and welded in place. There was a bit of guesswork involved here but the lid is now much easier to open. BONUS: The counterweight pulls double duty as my lid stop!

Got the power plant for this beast fit and welded today! Hinges and latch for the firebox door done. She's really starting to look great! Also added a shelf on the front. Almost there!!
403b85af6d97010134f87491c74f0baf.jpg
963553b3809ebbb6ddde67d3e68c031c.jpg

Just a small update but progress is progress! Got the Cook Chamber grates fabbed up and installed. All that's left is to install the thermometers, fab up the damper on the exhaust, then it's off to paint!
eb63c7fe41777c001f7ca6efa877f6d0.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky