Process of doing pellicle to ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

markj247365

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 9, 2017
I have heard doing the pellicle process will produce more bark on ribs? I am not familiar with this process and looking for how to do this? The reason I’m looking at this method is I was not getting a good bark to form on my ribs, I have not yet tried the in-foiling method. But my last ribs I left unwrapped for about 3 1/2 hours and nothing. They were baby backs and still no bark? I cooked them at about 230-235, I’ve heard to use a water pan and I’ve heard not to? On my old MES I had and did use a water pan and I did get bark on other meats. Now I just got the Cold Smoker Magnum PIG from smoke daddy and it burns real wood and pushes a ton of good smoke! Highly recommend for any pellet smoker.

I was using Jeff Phillips rub and I’ve tried both putting rub on an hour before, and putting rub on over night, neither method seems to make a difference in bark formation. Do I need to add more sugar on top of ribs when they smoke for the first few hours? Should I add the water pan? If I add the water pan wouldn’t that produce extra moisture which would hinder the bark process? Thanks everyone

To form a pellicle, simply heat the ribs in the smokehouse @90~100* for an hour, or place on a rack in front of a fan in the house for 30 minutes to dry the meat surface....

Putting the rub on the night before allows the salt to penetrate the meat, which is a form of dry brining, and makes for a juicier meat.

what kind of smoker are you using? electric, gas or wood? It does affect bark formation as well.

I am using a Pellet Pro pellet smoker. So when I am drying the ribs with a fan, do I have the rub already applied? If I did the other method do I just put my smoker on a temp of 100 and let them sit for an hour, then after an hour do I crank up the temp to smoking temp?

You can have the rub already on the meat. But it will be hard to dry the surface if you use something thick like prepared mustard to help the rub stick. Water or beef works just fine...
If I did the other method do I just put my smoker on a temp of 100 and let them sit for an hour, then after an hour do I crank up the temp to smoking temp?
Yes.

Another method is to season night before and place on rack in fridge to let it dry, then put in smoker next day.

Do you recommend using a water pan in smoker, also do you wrap or no wrap?

Couldn't find what temp range that controller will run at but if it does let you run at 100 degrees it will be putting out alot of smoke so it won't just be drying the meat. I've never ran my pellet unit with a water pan and not sure I've heard of anyone doing it. You could try it but i don't think it will help with bark formation.
How much bark are you looking for? Are you trying to get as much as you might get doing a pork butt?

Do you recommend using a water pan in smoker, also do you wrap or no wrap?
I do not use water in the pan, but I live in humid south Louisiana where we naturally have a high humidity. I do not wrap either. I use the bend test....when the meat pulls back from the tips of the bones, and the top has cracks, I test them. if I get a ~90* bend they are done. I do not like fall off the bone ribs.

Couldn't find what temp range that controller will run at but if it does let you run at 100 degrees it will be putting out alot of smoke so it won't just be drying the meat. I've never ran my pellet unit with a water pan and not sure I've heard of anyone doing it. You could try it but i don't think it will help with bark formation.
How much bark are you looking for? Are you trying to get as much as you might get doing a pork butt?
Ah...nevermind placing them on the smoker with a pellet grill...won't work.

Also, if you want a thick bark-use a rub with 50% sugar. The sugar will caramelize and darken giving you a sweet bark....which is great on ribs. I do this and do not sauce them, just do them memphis style dry....

I never worried about getting a Pellicle on anything but Cured things, like Bacon, Dried Beef, BBB, CB, ETC, and Smoking Fish. I don't see how that would help get a better bark on Ribs.
You could add more Brown Sugar, but I'd watch that you don't burn it.
For Bark, I would not wrap it in foil, and avoid adding any liquid to the Pan, but then I haven't added any liquid to my MES for the last 8 years.

Bear

3.5 hrs @ 230 doesn't sound like the ribs would be done let alone create a good bark. Baby backs done with the 2-2-1 method are done in 5hrs with foiling. W/O foiling would take longer.

If you want a good bark don't foil.
Use a rub containing Black pepper, sugar, chili or cayenne pepper(or both), kosher salt, onion powder and garlic powder. Heavier on the black pepper. Don't just sprinkle it on give it a good coating. Paprika can be used to give it that reddish color. I don't spritz(it adds time to the cook), but many on site do. Use the bend test to tell when they're done.

Bend test: Pick your ribs up with tongs about a 1/3 of the way down. If they freely drop to a 45* angle then they are finished. The bark will also crack some when bending. For FOTB ribs put them back on the smoker for another hour or so. You'll be able to see when they are FOTB.

Chris

Reactions: indaswamp
Thanks everyone, I do a variation of 3-2-1 and 2-2-1 (depending on thickness of meat) and with either method I’d wrap at a temp of 165-170, but no bark was formed prior. So I’d assume I should just leave un-foiled for the entire cook? Also, what temp is considered FOTB? My wife loves them that way. Would you also recommend putting some brown sugar on top after the rub has sat over night, or turnado sugar?

Has anyone tried using honey as a rub binder instead of mustard?

Sorry Inda I posted my response before I read yours. Didn't mean to basically repeat what you said.

Chris

I got some rub already made up but I think I’m going to try and add a mix of sugar and brown sugar to the rub, any thoughts on adding either more rub before it goes into the smoker, or more sugar (brown or regular) on top of ribs?

I would just mix up 50/50 brown sugar and white sugar OR 100% raw sugar......and sprinkle it on the already seasoned ribs. I personally like the rub a little thick...since I'm not adding a sauce...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky