Prime Rib Turf and Scallops Surf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
The Menu
Garlic and Herb Crusted Prime Rib
Pan Seared Ocean Scallops with Brown Butter and Thyme
Lemon Parmesan Green Beans
Chevre Bruschetta

Garlic and Herb Crusted Prime Rib
Choice prime rib dry brined with kosher salt for six hours.
Then slathered in a 2:1 mix of A1 steak sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
Rubbed generously with Prairie Dust herb mix and minced garlic, wrapped in plastic wrap and held overnight.
Trussed up tightly with butchers twine to give it a uniform shape and thus cook evenly.

IMG_20201003_120738899_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20201003_170333458_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Fired up the smoker with hickory, 225°-250°, averaged 238° over the five hour cook.
Pulled at an IT of 130° in the center of the roast, wrapped in foil and finished my other dishes.
About an hour later it was time to slice it... Oh Man!

IMG_20201003_175748637_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20201003_175822764_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20201003_175809390_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Pan Seared Ocean Scallops with Brown Butter and Thyme
U-12 size Ocean Scallops seasoned with salt and pepper, pan seared in a mix of olive oil and butter.
Then basted with a thyme infused Brown Butter sauce.

IMG_20201003_170859762_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20201003_173904451_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20201003_180620412_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Lemon Parmesan Green Beans
2lbs of fresh green beans sprayed with olive oil, salted and then give a generous covering of lemon zest and Parmesan cheese.
Broiler on high until hot and tender.

IMG_20201003_160754896_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20201003_175958981_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Chevre Bruschetta
Cherry tomatoes, capers and minced garlic sauteed in olive oil until the tomatoes burst and form sort of a sauce.
Season with a little salt and pepper, crushed red pepper too if you like it spicy.
Place the goat cheese in a baking dish and place the tomato mixture around it.
Broil on high to get some color on the cheese, being careful not to burn it.
I picked up a couple loaves of Rosemary Parmesan bread, cut some slices, buttered and toasted them.
To serve spread cheese on toast and top with tomato mix and fresh basil.

IMG_20201003_163203770_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20201003_171250166_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20201003_180641702_BURST000_COVER.jpg

The Grand Finale

IMG_20201003_180652063_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20201003_180908656_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Last edited:
Another epic meal, if they ever get the peer rebuilt down in Gulf Shores we can meet up sometime , stayed in the campground there and enjoyed it. Was hoping for late spring next year but dont think it will be ready

Reactions: chilerelleno
Another epic meal, if they ever get the peer rebuilt down in Gulf Shores we can meet up sometime , stayed in the campground there and enjoyed it. Was hoping for late spring next year but dont think it will be ready
Thanks Mike.
Shame about the pier, we were all excited about the rebuild and reopening and then Mother Nature cr@pped on us.
Would be happy to meet and fish with ya. I'll be doing a lot of surf fishing in the interim.

Wow! Your food always look delicious!!!View attachment 465531
Thank you, very kind of ya.
Very nice! Executed perfectly!
Appreciate it Travis, thanks... I worked hard to pull this all off at one time for dinner

Last edited:
Reactions: Sowsage
You brought your A++ cooking and plating game today Chile. That prime is perfect and man the sear on the scallops is a thing of beauty. Plating and pics put it over the top. Great job!

You brought your A++ cooking and plating game today Chile. That prime is perfect and man the sear on the scallops is a thing of beauty. Plating and pics put it over the top. Great job!
Very kind, thank you for the compliments on the cook.
I certainly had to bring this one off well, my minister of finances said there would be no trips to the store if I screwed something up.
Bingo chiller! That is a perfect meal! You were as busy as me today LOL
Thanks... I'd say we both certainly were and with delicious results too.
Your Beef Wellingtons were superbly done, I'd gladly do equal trades with ya.

Reactions: civilsmoker
Really nice. I just love Scallops. Even at $20 per pound locally, I make them 1 or 2 times a month...Just for Me! The rest of my crew prefer Shrimp. The Tomatoes and Chevre looks mighty tasty...JJ

Really nice. I just love Scallops. Even at $20 per pound locally, I make them 1 or 2 times a month...Just for Me! The rest of my crew prefer Shrimp. The Tomatoes and Chevre looks mighty tasty...JJ
Thank you Jimmy.
Me too on the scallops, though not nearly as often, and not these nice (expensive) Ocean Scallops.
Usually it'd be the much smaller breaded Bay Scallops as they're more budget friendly.
My younger son was wanting shrimp, now he's in love with the scallops.

The Chevre with Tomatoes/Capers on toast was indeed delicious, and it complimented everything nicely.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Man that looks great. Is there a trick to getting the scallops to sear like that? I don't know if they're just too wet(for me they've been frozen and thawed) when I cook them but it's hard to get that good sear. I have to get cast iron super hot to get even a remotely decent sear on scallops but your's look great. That prime rib too, man!

That's an amazing meal! The prime rib is done to perfection! The plating is superb...I can only imagine what it took to pull off...very nicely done!

Ryan

Awesome!!
That Prime Rib was done Perfectly!!
And everything else looks Outstanding!!
Love Me some Seared Scallops!!
Nice Job, John!!
Like.

Bear

Chile I see I have missed many things while away but you still haven't missed a beat. SPECTACULAR!!!!
Where ya been?
Thanks, I put a lot into this meal.
Yum and Yum and Yum and Yum.
Love fresh scallops only (not frozen). Don't get them now that I'm an in-lander
That's my idea of a good rib cut. Wife wants the moo silenced.
Yes'sir Yum! Yum! Yum! Thank you.
These big Ocean Scallops were a treat for us, and were so danged good.
LOL, your wife, my in-laws, I had to put their slices under the broiler to finish.
Dad ain't bad, he likes Medium, but Mom likes it Well Done.
WOW!
You really out did yourself this time!
Totally awesome!!
Al
Thank you Al, I was focused hard on getting everything righteously prepared.
Man that looks great. Is there a trick to getting the scallops to sear like that? I don't know if they're just too wet(for me they've been frozen and thawed) when I cook them but it's hard to get that good sear. I have to get cast iron super hot to get even a remotely decent sear on scallops but your's look great. That prime rib too, man!
Thank you very much.
Yes, there are some tricks to getting a really nice sear on scallops.
1) Dry them off, wet is no good.
2) Let them warm up a bit, not room temp, but cool not cold when put in the pan.
You don't want to cool off the pan and cold takes much longer to sear.
3) Each scallop has a big/small side, season and sear the big side for the best results.
4) Get the oil and/or butter almost smoking hot.
Get it just there and then turn the heat down a tad and place the scallops with at least an inch+ apart.
You don't want to cool down the pan and don't wanna steam instead of sear.
If they don't sizzle intensely when they hit the pan, they're not searing.
5) Don't worry about a sear on both sides, the sear side is the presentation side.
And the opposite just needs half the time or less, 1-1.5 minutes sear, then 30-45 seconds on the other.
Otherwise they will overcook quickly and lose their creamy tenderness.

Last edited:
Phenomenal meal John, everything looks so tasty! Really like the PR, cooked perfect and the sear on the scallops is awesome!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky