Prime Rib Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drunkenmeatfist

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 28, 2017
A local store has prime rib roasts on sale for $5 per pound. They are mostly about 3lb roasts. However, they are select grade and I have never cooked one before. The sale will only last another day. Is it worth stocking up on these?

I always buy Choice, however one time all they had was "Select". I grabbed a couple Select 5 pounders that seemed to be the best on marbling. When I used my Low & Slow method on them, I couldn't tell them from Choice.

Made like this:
Smoked Prime Rib (New Best Ever)

Bear

Last edited:
Love primes on the UDS. You can't go wrong if you start high 350, and bring it down to 250 as soon as possible, and finish it med rare or less.
Some of the best beef ever!

Why would you do this with a UDS? Wouldnt shutting the airflow off to bring it down to 250 from 350 cause the fire to starve of oxygen and make the food bitter? I havent actually heard of people cooking this way with a drum smoker before

Why would you do this with a UDS? Wouldnt shutting the airflow off to bring it down to 250 from 350 cause the fire to starve of oxygen and make the food bitter? I havent actually heard of people cooking this way with a drum smoker before
I don't get too much smoke going, just a couple of small hickory sticks. Generally the top vent has pretty clear smoke by this time. Never had bitter smoke on my UDS. I always get her hot first. (The UDS, Not the wife!)

Reactions: lvrgsp
I know this thread is a month old, but now is definitely the time to stock up on Prime Rib roasts, even Select grade. Now, I don't smoke mine, I cut them into steaks and grill smoke them (wood chips mixed in with the charcoal). A 5-6 lb roast can be cut into two 2.5 to 3 lb rib eye Cowboy steaks. There is nothing sexier on this planet than a 3" thick rib eye Cowboy steak, caramelized to perfection and grilled to a nice medium rare. Takes about 45 mins to an hour of direct and indirect grilling.

Prices have dropped locally to $5.98/lb for Select grade, $6.98 and $7.98/lb Choice grade. Last year prices dropped to $5.98/lb for Choice grade right after Christmas. This year I just couldn't wait for the price drop so I've picked up three 6 lb Select roasts so far that basically looked like Choice. We gobbled up a Select grade steak yesterday that was tender and juicy. My wife and I both got 2 meals off of one steak. We're going to grill up another today, so I'll document the process.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky