Prime Brisket Smoke ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thomas The Tank

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
Valparaiso, IN
I am smoking my second brisket ever tonight thru the morning. I got a 15lb prime packer from Costco.

For all you that have smoked prime brisket is does it usually go faster or about the same as using a choice brisket?

I'm not sure if it goes faster or slower, but I do know one thing...It will go better! Those primes are hard to beat, hope you enjoy as much as we do!

I usually cook mine between 250-275, and they average about 45 mins to an hour per pound. The marbeling in the prime will make you wonder why you haven't smoked one before.

I am looking forward to it and $3.59/lb at Costco is hard to say no to! I will have to cut it down a bit to fit in my mes 30 but probably still gonna start it around 8pm to play it safe, I will probably start out max temp them lower to about 240 an hour or so in. The good thing about the electric is if it finishes early I plan on wrapping it in butcher paper and lowering my smoker temp to 150-160

I do love smoking a prime brisket but today at WinCo they had choice for $1.66/lb! I grabbed 3 of those bad boys lol But that prime will cook pretty much the same, just treat it like any other brisket.

Mine took about 45 minutes a pound and so did my friends. He usually gets choice from a butcher but I told him about the costco ones. He said they cook much faster. He gets the ribs there too. The flat was really good but the point seems really fatty even after cutting couple big pockets of meat out. I'd just toss it on a 6 am in the morning should be done around 4

Mine took about 45 minutes a pound and so did my friends. He usually gets choice from a butcher but I told him about the costco ones. He said they cook much faster. He gets the ribs there too. The flat was really good but the point seems really fatty even after cutting couple big pockets of meat out. I'd just toss it on a 6 am in the morning should be done around 4
I am wanting to have it ready to eat at 2pm we are having a bunch of friend over for a memorial weekend bbq. Just checked the temp at 11:30 and it is around 140 with my mes at 250. Just lowered it to 225 so I’ll monitor it thru the night and see how it goes. As most say... I’ll rather have it finish early than have people waiting.

Sounds like you have a good plan, and don't forget to take some photo's!
Al
Pulled at 9:45am one spot was 193 and had little resistance. The rest was smooth and some spots 200+ I didnt want to chance overcooking the rest for one spot.

Attachments

• 86E2E7DC-C3DE-4D31-843F-7A1A9A10FBD8.jpeg
    86E2E7DC-C3DE-4D31-843F-7A1A9A10FBD8.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: 73saint
I wrapped in butcher paper and towels and put in a cooler for ~5 hours. Everyone loved it and the point was way more tender and juicy. I personally felt like the flat was “ok” not as tender. I know thats how it generally is. It wasn’t tough, but I could tell when I was slicing it. Of course no one else noticed. Not sure if that’s cause it was 193 at that one spot or maybe rested too long?? It was my second brisket ever so I can’t let it bother me too much and I am overall still happy with the way it turned out. I feel like my first one was better and it was choice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky