Pretty pumped!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
I will have to do a better thread at some point, but I’m so scattered I don’t even know where to begin. I’ve been immersed in The Art of Making Fermented Sausages. I’ve read, talked, shopped, studied, bothered people, annoyed my better half, the list goes on and on.
But today, after all of the blood sweat and tears (& I know there will be more to come), I got my first project going.

3E9B45D0-275A-41FD-B61D-89717F747BEB.jpeg 27DB427B-5838-4BE1-B2ED-266B70F1DD60.jpeg 4D66E356-F72D-49F5-B8FB-6018543AA8F1.jpeg
pepperoni and calabrese salami for this rookie...wish me luck. I may just sit by my fridge (fortunately it’s in a spare bedroom with a comfy queen size right near by) and watch it for the next 4-6 weeks.
Just wanted to share. I’ll put together a better organized thread when I get it all together!

Onwards, now that you've started there's no turning back.
Look forward to hearing about your results.

Wish I had the room/time to get into charcuterie, was just lamenting this today.
Chile, we don’t have the room, this was absolutely a “better to ask forgiveness than permission” thing. And, had it not been for the Covid, I never would have had the time.

Reactions: indaswamp
CONGRATS! Someday... I actually can't believe it is within my reach. Amazed at the stuff I learned here. Years ago, I made ribs and smoked a turkey 1 time a year. I have own sausage formulations now. CRAZY.

chilerelleno chilerelleno Rich chopsaw chopsaw turned me onto something cool to experiment with it. Butcher paper. Slows the evap rate kinda sorta like UMAI. Lately what Rich does is makes sausage and smokes or cooks but takes one and wraps one in butcher paper and dries it farther. Looks CRAZY good. Hopefully he chimes in and explains etc.

Reactions: 73saint
Man we've three full size uprights and two minis, I inquired about getting another mini for a curing chamber and my wife just gave me that sideways look... I dropped the matter.
I get away with enough shenanigans so I'm not pushing the lesser ones.
This sounds so familiar to me. Hehe!

Looks like you’re off to a great start Saint! It will ne interesting to see your final product and thoughts on your first go around. I love Calabrian pepper so that salami has my interest.

I too wish I could get into charcuterie but it’s a bit more than I can chew. A good thing is we still have few specialty Italian places around here.

Not much prettier than Curing Meat...JJ

I have thought about salami and pepperoni for some time now but I don't know enough about fermentation of meat to feel comfortable with it. Watching to see the end result

No doubt that's gonna be good . Something I've wanted to do myself , but just gonna stay with the semi-dried and the Umai . Be watching for the results .

I have thought about salami and pepperoni for some time now but I don't know enough about fermentation of meat to feel comfortable with it. Watching to see the end result
I said the same thing. I even tried reading books in the past and always felt like it was over my head. But over time, I’ve learned so much. Still a ton to learn but it’s less daunting now than before, for sure.
Looks Great Saint !!
Keep up the Good Work!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear, and thanks for the like!
This is one thing I think I'll always be afraid to try, but I love seeing the results and reading the posts from guys like you. Can't wait to see updates!
I used to say the same thing. No way I’m fermenting meat, yet, here I am. Who knows, you may too at some point!
No doubt that's gonna be good . Something I've wanted to do myself , but just gonna stay with the semi-dried and the Umai . Be watching for the results .
Chop, I brought some umai chorizo and Soppresata to camp this weekend. That stuff is so dang good, umai certainly does the trick!

Reactions: chopsaw
I may just sit by my fridge (fortunately it’s in a spare bedroom with a comfy queen size right near by) and watch it for the next 4-6 weeks.
:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing: You do that and you're not gonna wanna eat them when they are done!!! Like little babies.....now you wait for them to grow 'hair' (mold)......are they done dripping?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky