pretty good so far

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stoneysmama

Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
I've been starting out slow -- smoked one chicken, and it was great! The skin was tanned to leather, but the meat was tender & juicy. Then I did some baby backs. The temp was too high for a while but they were good. Controlling temperature is my steepest learning curve, and can anyone recommend a thermometer that actually reads correctly?

Welcome to the site. You might want to check out the thread on thermometers. I just have a cheap dial style from wally world. It works pretty good. But I am thinking of getting a dual probe digital one. Not sure which one yet, still researching them.

Kookie

Any digital probe type is an improvement over the stock one on your smoker. Ribs cannot reliably be measured directly, due to their thinness and amount of bone in them. But any brisket, butt or other bigger cut including poultry can be monitored in this way. I, and many others, have two digitals, or a unit that allows two probes, to measure both cooking surface temps, and meat temps.

Invest in either a dual unit, or two singles.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky