Pre Sear on An Eye of Round?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

EdN

Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
Am new to this method of cooking...Have done a couple of Chops and steaks so far...

Can I season, presear, then bag and Sous Vide? 5 Lb roast

Super hot oven for a short sear, or pan?

When cooking roasts one reason you sear then cook is to lock in the juices. With Sous Vide since you’re cooking in a sealed bag you’re cooking in the juices so pre-searing isn’t really needed.

Reactions: JLeonard
I like to sear mine after SV, if I sear at all.
Some say they sear it first to kill any Cooties that may be on the surface, before the nice long warm bath.

Bear

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I definitely like to sear after as well, not sure how it would turn out preseared. Seared and then cooking in a bag of juices seams like it would kinda undo (for lack of a better term) the sear.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I would agree with searing after...but I like the idea of doing both ways to see which way you prefer! Take pics and let us know your results and thoughts.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky