pre-rub bath!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JDeez

Original poster
Apr 22, 2022
Ive seen lots of post about different kinds of binders to get our rub mix to stick. Has anyone ever tried Grape seed oil? Asking because I have half a gal. given to me.I read that it's smoke point is high (around 485 .f) it may be interesting as a binder.

I agree with Jed. Grapeseed oil will be fine.
Plus, you'll get a good dose of vitamin E to boot.
Though I doubt you'll hit the 485° smoke point unless you're going to do a high heat reverse sear.

Reactions: JDeez and bigfurmn
I used Grape seed oil for everything until I switched to avocado oil....you will be fine to use it for everything.

Reactions: JDeez
Ive seen lots of post about different kinds of binders to get our rub mix to stick. Has anyone ever tried Grape seed oil? Asking because I have half a gal. given to me.I read that it's smoke point is high (around 485 .f) it may be interesting as a binder.

I am undecided about using a binder. I have normally always used either yellow mustard or worchestershire, but have noticed several folks around the net saying that its better not to use any binder at all, that the rub flavors will soak in better without one. What do y'all think?

I am undecided about using a binder. I have normally always used either yellow mustard or worchestershire, but have noticed several folks around the net saying that its better not to use any binder at all, that the rub flavors will soak in better without one. What do y'all think?
I don't have enough experience to give an educated answer myself.

I think that depends on how much rub you put on. If you fully encase the protein with a rub then you'll need a binder of some sort. I don't use one because i use a lite rub(think sprinkle) and the moistness of the meat is enough to hold it on. As for penetration I would think using something like a mustard would inhibit the rub from penetrating the meat. It will help in the formation of a bark by keeping the most of the rub on the meat.

Chris

Reactions: JDeez
i have done it with mustard more than anything else, if the meat is wet I wont add anything to it, i dont do a heavy rub anyway, If you want it thick it may take something to help hold it on. I use to rub the night before but have stopped that along with letting the temp come up before I throw it on. Cant taste a difference and its less prep . Thin items I really dont want the moisture pulled out anyway.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky